Protect finished engraving work on acrylics - tips?

Hi,

I’ve finished my engraving on black spray painted acrylic (60w CO2, 100 speed, 15% power, stucki with 254 dpi and some editing in LightBurn for contrast etc.)

Now I want to make sure it will be protected, im afraid if I use clear spray paint, the white engraved will be a bit more clear and I don’t want that. It is supposed to be frosted.

Does anyone have a tip? Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Very nice result, I never thought about engraving on acrylic, very interesting.
You could use lacquer with just a little shine or matte.
But be careful, do a test on some waste material first, acrylic cannot withstand most chemicals/solvents.

Thank you, I wanted something that lasted and have engraved it in a negative on the back where I spray painted it first.

I think I’m gonna make some test plates, one with a clear lacquer and one without and place it outside. If it can withstand the rainy spring days here in The Netherlands, I think we should be good

Looks great! I just did one for a plaque and wanted it to be a bit thicker, I’ll have to take a picture but I put a dab of acetone on the engraving side and put a second piece of acrylic on it. Turned out nice. Can’t even tell where the acetone was.

Nice!!!
I am trying to engrave on acrylic too but with a 40W diode laser.
I know I can engrave if, as you do, spray acrylic with paint, but next i want to remove the paint and see the result with color or white light.

I think if you use a thin coat of lacquer you will get a nice finish result.

Looks great! I just did one for a plaque and wanted it to be a bit thicker, I’ll have to take a picture but I put a dab of acetone on the engraving side and put a second piece of acrylic on it. Turned out nice. Can’t even tell where the acetone was.

Oh acetone? what did that do? Like melt the 2 pieces together? Wont the black paint come of then?

Yes, it will. It glued them together but I didn’t think about paint… ignore me, I talk crazy!! :slight_smile: