Quality not as good as before

Hi everyone,

I’m quite new with Lightburn, having acquired and installed a CD3 board recently.
I own a 6040 chinese laser machine who seems to work correctly hardware related.
Before, I had a M2 Nano board which, all things considered, worked well for my needs except for the awful software.

Now, I’m trying to continue to engrave drawings with the same settings as before but I definitely don’t have the same result:

BELOW:
Old M2 nanoboard with Corel Laser
400mm/s @ 20% laser power (80W)

TOP:
C3D board with Lightburn
250mm/s @ 35% laser power, 254dpi
Settings: I import PNG transparent file first converted to RGB then grayscale at 300dpi

As you can see, the result is uneven, fuzzy. I know it’s not much but I can see the difference.
I only use lineart, black&white file.

Also, I tried to activate Smoothie clustering (because I guessed I had the last firmware on my CD3 board) and here is the below:

Do you know what might be the issue, how to improve the result, get cleaner and even lines ?

Thank you very much for your help

This is 100mm/s at 20%. Yes, the laser power is too high yet perfect even result… but way too slow !

Try threshold, not grayscale - this image is very simple, and doesn’t require shading. You’ll get much higher speed without shading. By using grayscale mode, when the software stretches or resizes the image, it will produce some shaded pixels, and those are being translated to extra commands. The stock Nano board only did threshold or dither, so you aren’t comparing identical operations here.

When you’re ready to do images that do require shading, look at the cluster firmware on C3D’s site:

Hi there!

Thank you for your answer.
I installed the last firmware because I wasn’t sure that the board got the latest firmware when I got it last week.
And it’s way better but there is still a few issues.

I didn’t say it but I already use threshold to engrave. The file I import are pure black and white.
I still can’t go over 200mm/s, which is weird.
It also bugs something with Smoothie clustering.
Picture incoming.

As you can see, on the marks, there is still a few issues. Do you know what might be the problem?

Here an issue with Smoothie clustering on

Where did you get that firmware? Smoothieware clustering requires specific firmware. If you have clustering enabled in LightBurn but don’t have the matching firmware properly installed, you’ll get the strange lines you’re seeing there.

Regarding the speed, there are speed limits in the config file on the SD card. Yours might be set low:

x_axis_max_speed                             30000            # mm/min
y_axis_max_speed                             30000            # mm/min
alpha_max_rate                               30000.0          # mm/min  (alpha is X axis stepper)
beta_max_rate                                30000.0          # mm/min  (beta is Y axis stepper)

Got it directly from the cohesion forum, shared from Ray on his Dropbox.

They are set at 24000 currently, I’ll make the change to 30000!
I’ll keep you posted

Going to test in the next hours. Anything I could tweak to optmize the result/speed with threshold engraving?

#Cohesion3D LaserBoard v0.2

# NOTE Lines must not exceed 132 characters
## Robot module configurations : general handling of movement G-codes and slicing into moves
default_feed_rate                            4000             # Default rate ( mm/minute ) for G1/G2/G3 moves
default_seek_rate                            10000            # Default rate ( mm/minute ) for G0 moves
mm_per_arc_segment                           0.0              # Fixed length for line segments that divide arcs 0 to disable
mm_max_arc_error                             0.01             # The maximum error for line segments that divide arcs 0 to disable
                                                              # note it is invalid for both the above be 0
                                                              # if both are used, will use largest segment length based on radius
#mm_per_line_segment                         5                # Lines can be cut into segments ( not usefull with cartesian
                                                              # coordinates robots ).

# Arm solution configuration : Cartesian robot. Translates mm positions into stepper positions
alpha_steps_per_mm                           157.575          # Steps per mm for alpha stepper
beta_steps_per_mm                            157.575          # Steps per mm for beta stepper
gamma_steps_per_mm                           157.575          # Steps per mm for gamma stepper

# Planner module configuration : Look-ahead and acceleration configuration
planner_queue_size                           32               # DO NOT CHANGE THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING
acceleration                                 2500             # Acceleration in mm/second/second.
#z_acceleration                              500              # Acceleration for Z only moves in mm/s^2, 0 uses acceleration which is the default. DO NOT SET ON A DELTA
junction_deviation                           0.05             # Similar to the old "max_jerk", in millimeters,
                                                              # see https://github.com/grbl/grbl/blob/master/planner.c
                                                              # and https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Configuring-Grbl-v0.8
                                                              # Lower values mean being more careful, higher values means being
                                                              # faster and have more jerk
#z_junction_deviation                        0.0              # for Z only moves, -1 uses junction_deviation, zero disables junction_deviation on z moves DO NOT SET ON A DELTA
#minimum_planner_speed                       0.0              # sets the minimum planner speed in mm/sec

# Stepper module configuration
microseconds_per_step_pulse                  2                # Duration of step pulses to stepper drivers, in microseconds
base_stepping_frequency                      100000           # Base frequency for stepping

# Cartesian axis speed limits
x_axis_max_speed                             30000            # mm/min
y_axis_max_speed                             30000            # mm/min
z_axis_max_speed                             30000            # mm/min

# Stepper module pins ( ports, and pin numbers, appending "!" to the number will invert a pin )
alpha_step_pin                               2.0              # Pin for alpha stepper step signal
alpha_dir_pin                                0.5              # Pin for alpha stepper direction
alpha_en_pin                                 0.4              # Pin for alpha enable pin
alpha_current                                1.2              # X stepper motor current
alpha_max_rate                               30000.0          # mm/min
alpha_acceleration                           2500             # mm/sec²

beta_step_pin                                2.1              # Pin for beta stepper step signal
beta_dir_pin                                 0.11            # Pin for beta stepper direction
beta_en_pin                                  0.10             # Pin for beta enable
beta_current                                 1.2                # Y stepper motor current
beta_max_rate                                30000.0          # mm/min
beta_acceleration                            2500             # mm/sec²

gamma_step_pin                               2.2              # Pin for gamma stepper step signal
gamma_dir_pin                                0.20!            # Pin for gamma stepper direction
gamma_en_pin                                 0.19             # Pin for gamma enable
gamma_current                                1.2                # Z stepper motor current
gamma_max_rate                               24000.0          # mm/min
gamma_acceleration                           2500             # mm/sec²

# A axis
delta_steps_per_mm                           157.5           # may be steps per degree for example
delta_step_pin                               2.3              # Pin for delta stepper step signal
delta_dir_pin                                0.22             # Pin for delta stepper direction
delta_en_pin                                 0.21             # Pin for delta enable
delta_current                                0.6                # Z stepper motor current
delta_max_rate                               12000            # mm/min
delta_acceleration                           1000             # mm/sec²

# B axis
epsilon_steps_per_mm                         100              # may be steps per degree for example
epsilon_step_pin                             xx               # Pin for delta stepper step signal
epsilon_dir_pin                              xx               # Pin for delta stepper direction
epsilon_en_pin                               xx               # Pin for delta enable
epsilon_current                              1.5              # Z stepper motor current
epsilon_max_rate                             300.0            # mm/min
epsilon_acceleration                         500.0            # mm/sec²

# C axis
zeta_steps_per_mm                            100              # may be steps per degree for example
zeta_step_pin                                xx               # Pin for delta stepper step signal
zeta_dir_pin                                 xx               # Pin for delta stepper direction
zeta_en_pin                                  xx               # Pin for delta enable
zeta_current                                 1.5              # Z stepper motor current
zeta_max_rate                                300.0            # mm/min
zeta_acceleration                            500.0            # mm/sec²

## System configuration
# Serial communications configuration ( baud rate defaults to 9600 if undefined )
uart0.baud_rate                              115200           # Baud rate for the default hardware serial port
second_usb_serial_enable                     false            # This enables a second usb serial port (to have both pronterface
                                                              # and a terminal connected)
#leds_disable                                true             # disable using leds after config loaded
#play_led_disable                            true             # disable the play led

# Kill button (used to be called pause) maybe assigned to a different pin, set to the onboard pin by default
kill_button_enable                           true             # set to true to enable a kill button
kill_button_pin                              2.12             # kill button pin. default is same as pause button 2.12 (2.11 is another good choice)

#msd_disable                                 false            # disable the MSD (USB SDCARD) when set to true (needs special binary)
#dfu_enable                                  false            # for linux developers, set to true to enable DFU
#watchdog_timeout                            10               # watchdog timeout in seconds, default is 10, set to 0 to disable the watchdog

# Only needed on a smoothieboard
currentcontrol_module_enable                 true             #

## Extruder module configuration
extruder.hotend.enable                          false          # Whether to activate the extruder module at all. All configuration is ignored if false
extruder.hotend.steps_per_mm                    157.575        # Steps per mm for extruder stepper
extruder.hotend.default_feed_rate               60000          # Default rate ( mm/minute ) for moves where only the extruder moves
extruder.hotend.acceleration                    3000           # Acceleration for the stepper motor mm/sec?
extruder.hotend.max_speed                       1000           # mm/s

extruder.hotend.step_pin                        2.3              # Pin for extruder step signal
extruder.hotend.dir_pin                         0.22             # Pin for extruder dir signal
extruder.hotend.en_pin                          0.21             # Pin for extruder enable signal

# extruder offset
#extruder.hotend.x_offset                        0                # x offset from origin in mm
#extruder.hotend.y_offset                        0                # y offset from origin in mm
#extruder.hotend.z_offset                        0                # z offset from origin in mm

# firmware retract settings when using G10/G11, these are the defaults if not defined, must be defined for each extruder if not using the defaults
#extruder.hotend.retract_length                  3               # retract length in mm
#extruder.hotend.retract_feedrate                45              # retract feedrate in mm/sec
#extruder.hotend.retract_recover_length          0               # additional length for recover
#extruder.hotend.retract_recover_feedrate        8               # recover feedrate in mm/sec (should be less than retract feedrate)
#extruder.hotend.retract_zlift_length            0               # zlift on retract in mm, 0 disables
#extruder.hotend.retract_zlift_feedrate          6000            # zlift feedrate in mm/min (Note mm/min NOT mm/sec)
#delta_current                                    1.8              # First extruder stepper motor current

# Second extruder module configuration
#extruder.hotend2.enable                          true             # Whether to activate the extruder module at all. All configuration is ignored if false
#extruder.hotend2.steps_per_mm                    140              # Steps per mm for extruder stepper
#extruder.hotend2.default_feed_rate               600              # Default rate ( mm/minute ) for moves where only the extruder moves
#extruder.hotend2.acceleration                    500              # Acceleration for the stepper motor, as of 0.6, arbitrary ratio
#extruder.hotend2.max_speed                       50               # mm/s

#extruder.hotend2.step_pin                        2.8              # Pin for extruder step signal
#extruder.hotend2.dir_pin                         2.13             # Pin for extruder dir signal
#extruder.hotend2.en_pin                          4.29             # Pin for extruder enable signal

#extruder.hotend2.x_offset                        0                # x offset from origin in mm
#extruder.hotend2.y_offset                        25.0             # y offset from origin in mm
#extruder.hotend2.z_offset                        0                # z offset from origin in mm
#epsilon_current                                  1.5              # Second extruder stepper motor current

## Laser module configuration
laser_module_enable                           true            # Whether to activate the laser module at all. All configuration is
                                                              # ignored if false.
laser_module_pin                              2.5             # this pin will be PWMed to control the laser. Only P2.0 - P2.5, P1.18, P1.20, P1.21, P1.23, P1.24, P1.26, P3.25, P3.26
                                                              # can be used since laser requires hardware PWM
laser_module_maximum_power                    1.0             # this is the maximum duty cycle that will be applied to the laser
laser_module_minimum_power                    0.0             # This is a value just below the minimum duty cycle that keeps the laser
                                                              # active without actually burning.
#laser_module_default_power                   0.8             # This is the default laser power that will be used for cuts if a power has not been specified.  The value is a scale between
                                                              # the maximum and minimum power levels specified above
laser_module_pwm_period                       200             # this sets the pwm frequency as the period in microseconds

switch.laserfire.enable                       false
switch.laserfire.output_pin                   2.6
switch.laserfire.output_type                  digital
switch.laserfire.input_on_command             M3
switch.laserfire.input_off_command            M5

## Temperature control configuration
# First hotend configuration
temperature_control.hotend.enable            false            # Whether to activate this ( "hotend" ) module at all.
                                                              # All configuration is ignored if false.
temperature_control.hotend.thermistor_pin    0.23             # Pin for the thermistor to read
temperature_control.hotend.heater_pin        2.7              # Pin that controls the heater, set to nc if a readonly thermistor is being defined
temperature_control.hotend.thermistor        EPCOS100K        # see http://smoothieware.org/temperaturecontrol#toc5
#temperature_control.hotend.beta             4066             # or set the beta value
temperature_control.hotend.set_m_code        104              #
temperature_control.hotend.set_and_wait_m_code 109            #
temperature_control.hotend.designator        T                #
#temperature_control.hotend.max_temp         300              # Set maximum temperature - Will prevent heating above 300 by default
#temperature_control.hotend.min_temp         0                # Set minimum temperature - Will prevent heating below if set

# safety control is enabled by default and can be overidden here, the values show the defaults
#temperature_control.hotend.runaway_heating_timeout      900   # max is 2040 seconds, how long it can take to heat up
#temperature_control.hotend.runaway_cooling_timeout      900   # max is 2040 seconds, how long it can take to cool down if temp is set lower
#temperature_control.hotend.runaway_range                20    # Max setting is 63?C

#temperature_control.hotend.p_factor         13.7             # permanently set the PID values after an auto pid
#temperature_control.hotend.i_factor         0.097            #
#temperature_control.hotend.d_factor         24               #

#temperature_control.hotend.max_pwm          64               # max pwm, 64 is a good value if driving a 12v resistor with 24v.

# Second hotend configuration
#temperature_control.hotend2.enable            true             # Whether to activate this ( "hotend" ) module at all.
                                                              # All configuration is ignored if false.

#temperature_control.hotend2.thermistor_pin    0.25             # Pin for the thermistor to read
#temperature_control.hotend2.heater_pin        1.23             # Pin that controls the heater
#temperature_control.hotend2.thermistor        EPCOS100K        # see http://smoothieware.org/temperaturecontrol#toc5
##temperature_control.hotend2.beta             4066             # or set the beta value
#temperature_control.hotend2.set_m_code        104              #
#temperature_control.hotend2.set_and_wait_m_code 109            #
#temperature_control.hotend2.designator        T1               #

#temperature_control.hotend2.p_factor          13.7           # permanently set the PID values after an auto pid
#temperature_control.hotend2.i_factor          0.097          #
#temperature_control.hotend2.d_factor          24             #

#temperature_control.hotend2.max_pwm          64               # max pwm, 64 is a good value if driving a 12v resistor with 24v.

temperature_control.bed.enable               false             #
temperature_control.bed.thermistor_pin       0.24             #
temperature_control.bed.heater_pin           2.5              #
temperature_control.bed.thermistor           Honeywell100K    # see http://smoothieware.org/temperaturecontrol#toc5
#temperature_control.bed.beta                3974             # or set the beta value

temperature_control.bed.set_m_code           140              #
temperature_control.bed.set_and_wait_m_code  190              #
temperature_control.bed.designator           B                #

#temperature_control.bed.bang_bang            false           # set to true to use bang bang control rather than PID
#temperature_control.bed.hysteresis           2.0             # set to the temperature in degrees C to use as hysteresis
                                                              # when using bang bang

## Switch module for fan control
switch.fan.enable                            true
switch.fan.input_on_command                  M106             #
switch.fan.input_off_command                 M107             #
switch.fan.output_pin                        2.4              #
switch.fan.output_type                       pwm              # pwm output settable with S parameter in the input_on_comand
#switch.fan.max_pwm                          255              # set max pwm for the pin default is 255

switch.misc.enable                           false             #
switch.misc.input_on_command                 M42              #
switch.misc.input_off_command                M43              #
switch.misc.output_pin                       2.4              #
switch.misc.output_type                      digital          # just an on or off pin

# Switch module for spindle control
#switch.spindle.enable                        false            #

## Temperatureswitch :
# automatically toggle a switch at a specified temperature. Different ones of these may be defined to monitor different temperatures and switch different swithxes
# useful to turn on a fan or water pump to cool the hotend
#temperatureswitch.hotend.enable              true             #
#temperatureswitch.hotend.designator          T                # first character of the temperature control designator to use as the temperature sensor to monitor
#temperatureswitch.hotend.switch              misc             # select which switch to use, matches the name of the defined switch
#temperatureswitch.hotend.threshold_temp      60.0             # temperature to turn on (if rising) or off the switch
#temperatureswitch.hotend.heatup_poll         15               # poll heatup at 15 sec intervals
#temperatureswitch.hotend.cooldown_poll       60               # poll cooldown at 60 sec intervals

## Endstops
endstops_enable                              true             # the endstop module is enabled by default and can be disabled here
#corexy_homing                               false            # set to true if homing on a hbot or corexy
alpha_min_endstop                            1.24^            # add a ! to invert if endstop is NO connected to ground
alpha_max_endstop                            1.25^            # NOTE set to nc if this is not installed
alpha_homing_direction                       home_to_min      # or set to home_to_max and set alpha_max
alpha_min                                    0                # this gets loaded after homing when home_to_min is set
alpha_max                                    600              # this gets loaded after homing when home_to_max is set
beta_min_endstop                             1.26^            #
beta_max_endstop                             1.27^            #
beta_homing_direction                        home_to_max      #
beta_min                                     0                #
beta_max                                     400              #
gamma_min_endstop                            1.28^            #
gamma_max_endstop                            1.29^            #
gamma_homing_direction                       home_to_min      #
gamma_min                                    0                #
gamma_max                                    200              #

alpha_max_travel                             600              # max travel in mm for alpha/X axis when homing
beta_max_travel                              400              # max travel in mm for beta/Y axis when homing
gamma_max_travel                             500              # max travel in mm for gamma/Z axis when homing

# optional order in which axis will home, default is they all home at the same time,
# if this is set it will force each axis to home one at a time in the specified order
#homing_order                                 XYZ              # x axis followed by y then z last
#move_to_origin_after_home                    false            # move XY to 0,0 after homing

# optional enable limit switches, actions will stop if any enabled limit switch is triggered
#alpha_limit_enable                          false            # set to true to enable X min and max limit switches
#beta_limit_enable                           false            # set to true to enable Y min and max limit switches
#gamma_limit_enable                          false            # set to true to enable Z min and max limit switches

alpha_fast_homing_rate_mm_s                  150               # feedrates in mm/second
beta_fast_homing_rate_mm_s                   150               # "
gamma_fast_homing_rate_mm_s                  4                # "
alpha_slow_homing_rate_mm_s                  25               # "
beta_slow_homing_rate_mm_s                   25               # "
gamma_slow_homing_rate_mm_s                  2                # "

alpha_homing_retract_mm                      5                # distance in mm
beta_homing_retract_mm                       5                # "
gamma_homing_retract_mm                      1                # "

#endstop_debounce_count                      100              # uncomment if you get noise on your endstops, default is 100

## Z-probe
zprobe.enable                                false           # set to true to enable a zprobe
zprobe.probe_pin                             1.28!^          # pin probe is attached to if NC remove the !
zprobe.slow_feedrate                         5               # mm/sec probe feed rate
#zprobe.debounce_count                       100             # set if noisy
zprobe.fast_feedrate                         100             # move feedrate mm/sec
zprobe.probe_height                          5               # how much above bed to start probe
#gamma_min_endstop                           nc              # normally 1.28. Change to nc to prevent conflict,

# associated with zprobe the leveling strategy to use
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.enable         true        # a leveling strategy that probes three points to define a plane and keeps the Z parallel to that plane
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.point1         100.0,0.0   # the first probe point (x,y) optional may be defined with M557
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.point2         200.0,200.0 # the second probe point (x,y)
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.point3         0.0,200.0   # the third probe point (x,y)
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.home_first     true        # home the XY axis before probing
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.tolerance      0.03        # the probe tolerance in mm, anything less that this will be ignored, default is 0.03mm
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.probe_offsets  0,0,0       # the probe offsets from nozzle, must be x,y,z, default is no offset
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.save_plane     false       # set to true to allow the bed plane to be saved with M500 default is false

## Panel
panel.enable                                 true             # set to true to enable the panel code

# Example for reprap discount GLCD
# on glcd EXP1 is to left and EXP2 is to right, pin 1 is bottom left, pin 2 is top left etc.
# +5v is EXP1 pin 10, Gnd is EXP1 pin 9
panel.lcd                                   reprap_discount_glcd     #
panel.spi_channel                           0                 # spi channel to use  ; GLCD EXP1 Pins 3,5 (MOSI, SCLK)
panel.spi_cs_pin                            0.16              # spi chip select     ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 4
panel.encoder_a_pin                         3.25!^            # encoder pin         ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 3
panel.encoder_b_pin                         3.26!^            # encoder pin         ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 5
panel.click_button_pin                      1.30!^            # click button        ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 2
panel.buzz_pin                              1.31              # pin for buzzer      ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 1
panel.back_button_pin                       2.11!^            # back button         ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 8

panel.encoder_resolution		    4

# pins used with other panels
#panel.up_button_pin                         0.1!              # up button if used
#panel.down_button_pin                       0.0!              # down button if used
#panel.click_button_pin                      0.18!             # click button if used

panel.menu_offset                            0                 # some panels will need 1 here

panel.alpha_jog_feedrate                     6000              # x jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.beta_jog_feedrate                      6000              # y jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.gamma_jog_feedrate                     200               # z jogging feedrate in mm/min

panel.hotend_temperature                     185               # temp to set hotend when preheat is selected
panel.bed_temperature                        60                # temp to set bed when preheat is selected

## Custom menus : Example of a custom menu entry, which will show up in the Custom entry.
# NOTE _ gets converted to space in the menu and commands, | is used to separate multiple commands
#custom_menu.power_on.enable                true              #
#custom_menu.power_on.name                  Power_on          #
#custom_menu.power_on.command               M80               #

#custom_menu.power_off.enable               true              #
#custom_menu.power_off.name                 Power_off         #
#custom_menu.power_off.command              M81               #

## Network settings
network.enable                               false            # enable the ethernet network services
network.webserver.enable                     true             # enable the webserver
network.telnet.enable                        true             # enable the telnet server
network.ip_address                           auto             # use dhcp to get ip address
# uncomment the 3 below to manually setup ip address
#network.ip_address                           192.168.3.222    # the IP address
#network.ip_mask                              255.255.255.0    # the ip mask
#network.ip_gateway                           192.168.3.1      # the gateway address
#network.mac_override                         xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx  # override the mac address, only do this if you have a conflict

digipotchip	mcp4451 
digipot_factor	95.521	# DO NOT CHANGE FOR LASERBOARD 
digipot_max_current	1.2	# Maximum current (Amps) the digipot will allow for all axis 

switch.spread1.enable                        true
switch.spread1.output_pin                    2.6
switch.spread1.startup_state                 true

switch.spread2.enable                        true
switch.spread2.output_pin                    2.7
switch.spread2.startup_state                 true

switch.spread3.enable                        true
switch.spread3.output_pin                    2.8
switch.spread3.startup_state                 true

switch.spread4.enable                        true
switch.spread4.output_pin                    2.13
switch.spread4.startup_state                 true

#switch.spread1.input_on_command              M106     # any command that starts with this exact string turns this switch on
#switch.spread1.input_off_command             M107     # any command starting with this exact string turns off the switch

I don’t see anything that jumps out as a problem, so try it the way you have it. You can also try increasing the default_seek_rate. I don’t think that limits engraving speed, but it’s the speed it uses between cuts.

While trying to decipher and learn my smooothie config settings and lightburn generated gcode, i noticed that my
Laser_module_pwm_period is set to 20 as oppose to the file published in this thread.

I wonder what this setting is all about and how it influences the outcome.

Smoothieware does have documentation online. A Google search for “smoothie ware pwm period” brings you this as the first hit:

http://smoothieware.org/configuration-options

It’s the PWM period in microseconds. Longer values are sometimes necessary for some power supplies.

I am familiar with this link, i used it back when i configured my smoothie for my laser. it’s not saying anything useful about this setting.

Found a perfect explanation here:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.