Question 3 of 3, Today. Finally

As stated in question 1, the laser is in the kitchen. The windows computer (laptop) is in the kitchen. It stays connected to the laser for obvious reasons.

At the other end of the house, is what we call “the office” and that is where my tower is, (Linux) and where my ‘chair’ is. (I’m disabled, so among other things, I can’t stand for very long at all.)

Is there a way of putting Lightburn on my tower at the other end of the house, NOT connected to the laser, but so that I can do all the clicking, designing, changing, etc comfortably over there, then simply load what I’ve done onto a chipstick and carry it into the kitchen and plug it into the Windows laptop?

That would make for SO MUCH more comfortable working/accomplishing etc, and I simply don’t know enough about this stuff to know what to ask, if I’m not using the proper words.

Thank you all for your assistance, and patience, and as soon as I’m actually knowledgeable about something, I’ll share it too. In time.

I know what I don’t know, and I don’t know this!

Are you asking something fundamentally different than what was discussed in your other topic? Is the basic question whether or not you can install LightBurn on your Linux computer and transfer files to the kitchen computer? Answer is yes to both. And if your computers are networked together you can avoid the thumbstick sneakernet entirely by using a share.

If you’re asking something different here please clarify.

This is the post I’m referring to:

A single licence of LB will run on 2 different computers, doesn’t matter if Windows or Linux. You can have a copy of LB on Linux machine, make you works there, save the job as .lbrn2 on a google drive or a dropbox or similar, then start LB on Windows machine and open the job from the cloud.
I’m acting in this way.

I can see various options you could try. As has been mentioned you could put your files on a network share or a USB memory stick (flash drive or whichever of the usual names you choose to call it). You could also ‘remote control’ your Windows laptop from your Linux box by using something like VNC. There are various flavours, some free some paid for. This way you can work on your Windows laptop from the comfort of your chair in ‘the office’. To me this is the best option as you’re actually working on the computer that’s going to drive the laser and you’re not ferrying files around. This is the solution I use, as my laser is in the garage together with the laptop that’s driving it. Then it’s all ready for me to just nip out to the garage to set up the machine and hit the ‘Start’ button in LightBurn.
My personal favourite is TightVNC but you might like to look at other versions and choose one that suits you better.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you all. I’ll be following up with this more in the next few days.

Aside from Christmas, which was a festivus in itself, we’ve also been a bit ‘inundated’ with adulting and other “responsibilities” that were unexpected.

We do have a few “network switches” here and practically everything is connected in one manner or another. CAT6e, not wifi. I’ll need to decypher and decode what a lot of ya’ll are saying, in order to make the progress here that we’re wanting. And I’ll do so, one step at a time.

I just can’t thank you enough, because for My Lady, (this is all her baby) I’m just doing my best to get it and her up-and-running.

Blessings,

1 Like

Nice. So networking won’t be an issue.

Don’t feel like you need to take it all on yourself. You can share your progress here as you go step-by-step if you’re needing another perspective.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.