Resize slots not work

this is the file

jack-daniels-whisky-wooden-box.dxf (849.1 KB)

If the resize slot tool isn’t recognizing the slots in your design, there’s a few things that could be happening. We have some troubleshooting info in our docs here: Slot & Tab Resizer - LightBurn Software Documentation

If you can share the design you’re working with, I’d be happy to take a look and see if I can figure out what’s going on.

1 Like

Thanks for posting your file.

The first thing I noticed was that the shape in the top right isn’t closed, which produces this warning message:

To fix that, I used Edit > Select Open Shapes and then Edit > Close Path.

Now for the main problem:

I can see that some of the slots are recognized, but not all of them.

Using the Measurement tool on the slots that weren’t recognized by Resize Slots, I can see that there are some extra nodes breaking up the lines, which interferes with the way the Resize Slots tool works. In the screenshot below, a line that should be 3mm is actually 2.28mm, with a second line right above it.

To use Resize Slots, you’ll need to clean up the file a little bit.

First, you’ll need to delete extra nodes. If you select the shapes you want to use Resize Slots on and select Edit Nodes, every node in the selected shapes will be visible. I’ve highlighted one of the extra nodes in yellow.

Hover over the extra nodes with your mouse and press D to delete them.

Second, some of your lines are technically curves that just look like straight lines. They look like this when Edit Nodes is active:

To fix these lines, hover your mouse over them and press L.

After that, you should be able to use Resize Slots as expected. Please let me know if that works for you.

1 Like

thanks for all information.

There is something happening on the LB DXF import that is adding nodes and changing lines to curves. I saw the same thing a couple of weeks ago. When I import the DXF file into CorelDraw, and then use the CorelDraw script to send the file to Lightburn, there aren’t any extra nodes or lines changed to curves. The only problem area was the gap you described, and 4 slots that are 3.2mm instead of 3mm.

jack-daniels-whisky-wooden-box.lbrn (479.5 KB)

so a bug in lightburn???
Will Lightburn change this???

The DXF file opened correctly in CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator, Silhouette Studio, Affinity Designer, Inkscape, and Draftsight. Not sure why Lightburn is adding nodes and changing straight lines to curves.

if i change the file with aspire to svg or ai then is it bad

I don’t know, because I don’t gave Aspire.

if you load that jack daniels in inkscape and save it as autocad R12 then everything is fine in lightburn

Hmm, - Are these issues somehow related?..

I don’t think so. The other issue pertains to LB adding nodes and changing straight lines to curves when importing DXF files comprised of splines. Your DXF is a mixture of polylines and splines.

Or, import the DXF into Inkscape, select all, copy…switch to LB and paste. That also removes the extra nodes.

Thanks all

I was able to get it to work on one part of my file and now it will not recognize any other selections in my file. I have resize the project from roughly 6.5" to 8". When I select the obect and then select the resizing option and enter my chnges, nothing happens and I don’t get info as if something in not compatible.

Santa Mailbox_B.lbrn2 (175.5 KB)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.