Reverse image and then burning a hole right through

Hi I am using a JL3 firmware / grbl - I am trying lightburn still in trial period to see if it will work with my machine. Today a made a simple circle and have tried many setting to get it to cut out of thin wood… I finally cut through so then I added a name and cut it…, but it cuts exactly flipped on my board from what is showing on the screen. Is there like a calibration page for certain machines that would tell me what I’m doing wrong? I tried cutting another piece and the laser moved to the start point and burned a hole straight through and only stopped because I turned it off… ??? When I do the test it barely burns until the last row of squares. I’ve watched all the tutorials but not having much success. What setting should a 10W laser no air be on to cut out a simple circle? I slowed it way down and ran at 100% but it feels like something is holding it back? I can send photos if that helps someone suggest problems?

Hi, the flipped image is usually due to the ‘quadrant’ the machine operates in.

You need to set the origin in ‘Device Settings’ to the proper corner of your machines home.

As far as not moving and burning, that sounds like the controller crashed.

Have you setup the machine from the Lightburn docs?

Where did you get this firmware? I have a JL1 with non standard firmware.

:smile_cat:

I have a JL1 that I flashed to the JL3 firmware I believe it’s exactly what you used!

I said back left, but it homes and hits the stops then goes to what looks like front left to cut. But it’s completely mirrored.

Can I ask you what kind of power/numbers you use to cut through thin like 1/8” wood?

Can you explain what you meant by light burn docs?

How do you power it up? Are you using the homing?

I don’t home this laser, yet… put a larger head on it, have to move the limits on the Y end.

I manually place mine in the bottom left, when I power it up, I can look at on the ‘move’ window and read the x and y coordinates.

I then entered G10 L2 P1 X220 Y290 since the x was -220 and the Y was -290. I understand this applies the new offset making where you placed it 0, 0.

Make sense?

:smile_cat:

Anna,

JL3 firmware is for different frame. It is working fine on JL1 frame but not with hard homing enabled. If enabled - you most likely to crash into limit switch and board to go into ALARM state and eventual soft reset. This what your trouble is.

You must look through related threads and configure your GRBL properly, including table size, set soft limits ON and hard limits OFF, and manually home to the bottom left before powering up.

When setup and powered up properly - you should not have such problem.

Another alternative for you is to flash another firmware specifically for JL1 frame, but it requires flashing tools (ST Link dongle), not as simple as JL3 firmware but not very difficult either.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.