Rotary setup on Ruida RDC6445G

Please Help!!! I just purchased this FTG rotary and I’m really having a hard time getting it setup.I posted pictures of all the different component I am trying to use. I have peak amps set at 1.0amp and 10k pulse on the stepper driver. Lightburn is set to 10k rotation 18.84mm roller diameter. Only thing i can get it to do is growl and won’t rotate. Could someone please help me out with this? I hope that I have gave enough information. Thanks…

Do you have a schematic of how you have wired this? I cannot tell from your pictures what has been connected to what.

Are you using a separate stepper driver for your rotary (or sharing the Y driver for the rotary)? Your picture shows two drivers.

Two different drivers.

Are you sure you have the correct wiring pairs from the stepper connected to the driver? If you don’t, it would just buzz.

If you disconnect the motor, you can choose any two wires, twist the ends together so the metal is touching, then try to spin the motor by hand. If it resists strongly, you have identified a coil pair. Connect both of those wires to the same output pair on the motor driver (like A- A+ or B- B+) and connect the other wire pair to the other letter on the motor driver.

If you’ve already done that, chances are you have the movement speed set too high and the stepper is skipping.

1 Like

What movement speed would you recommend?

Whichever speed prevents it from skipping. :slight_smile: That’s a punt, but it’s also true - I have no idea what motor you have, what speed it’s rated for at the voltage you’re feeding it, how heavy the rotary axis is, what acceleration it’s being driven at, etc. Start slow and work your way up until it skips, then back off about 25% or so.

Ahhh. My setup is different. I use a common 3 phase stepper driver and switch it with a LW8-10A 3 position rotary cam switch:

Fixed, Factory pre installed rotary connector wired wrong. Should have known better then to trust chinese wiring.

Glad you got it figured out!

1 Like

Well, to be fair, if the company that built the rotary isn’t the same as the one who built the machine, there isn’t a standard for these, so there’s no way they could know.

Wire inside the connector was shorted out.

Ahh, ok, well that’s different then. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.