Rotary wiring - Here (may be) dragons

The “danger” is there because “do this at your own risk” and to open discussion on it.

The common wisdom is to turn off power prior to swapping the Y-Axis and rotary steppers. As I was responding to a different thread, I dropped in the “turn off power” comment. You don’t want the back EMF from the stepper to toast the driver.

I confirmed that the stepper drivers are still enabled even while idle, but if they were disabled there wouldn’t be power going to the steppers and there would be no back EMF problem.

On my machine, the enable pins aren’t connected on the drivers, so the steppers are always enabled.

So, you could push-button activate a latching/toggle relay to swap the axis wires after a delay to drive the enable pin low (disable). No need to power down.

I also wonder if you could use the Run signal (maybe inverted) to drive the stepper enable. I need to see if that’s on-while-moving or only on-with laser. There is the possibility of losing a couple of steps due to timing,

My ideal state would still be able to use one of the general purpose outputs and Lightburn ability to toggle them for rotary. Last I heard, though, the outputs aren’t actually accessible. :frowning:

“Things to check, things to do…”

Just to see if I understand what you would like,
you want to use the outputs to

• Turn all steppers on/off?
  • Switch between normal and rotary stepper motor by using an enable signal?

Personally I do not really see the use since I have no space in my 500x300 to leave the rotary inside the machine when doing normal jobs.

Personally I do not really see the use since I have no space in my 500x300 to leave the rotary inside the machine when doing normal jobs.

I actually have a lot of free room, but not a rotary - yet. The thought is more for the convenience, though. Set up a job for rotary and don’t have to deal with flipping switches, moving cables, power cycling, etc. (and the chance to get it wrong at each step).

Adding an independent driver for the rotary and just swapping the login signals is an option, too. I don’t know if you could parallel the DIR and PUL. Tying those together could affect the signal/waveform.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.