Ruida 6445G rotary docs for lightburn?

I have read up on the Ruida 6445G U axis being inoperable with out some sort of mystic firmware needed to be specified prior to ordering… That’s a bummer… (anyone hear anything about that being available to try?)

But I did set up a separate U axis 541D driver on my build, and have my rotary working using the buttons on the jog panel. I figured I would use a 4PDT 24V relay to swap he controller Pulse/DIR pins between the U and X axis drivers on my control board, then do the changes in LB. Is there a tutorial on how that is done? (my Y axis is my scanning axis, and I did notice when I have the Ruida Rotary enabled the Y axis quits working properly, which I hope is just a misconfiguration.

Nick

You cannot use the U axis from the controller to drive the rotary unless you have the special firmware from Ruida for it. There is no other way. The Ruida always uses the X axis for scanning, and the Y axis for turning. Even on a system with the U axis firmware, X is scan, and it just sends the Y pulses through the U output instead.

So in my case, my rotary mounts in the Y direction, so I would need to flip the Rotary driver to the Y output and the Y to the X output… that explains the odd Y behavior when I enabled the rotary function!

Ok, so I’ll use a second 4PDT relay, so a single switch can reconfigure the Pulse/Dir pins around.

And retrain my brain on where the axis are :crazy_face:

Thanks, that explains my issue with my Y.

Do I just save a separate Machine config of each use case then to keep all my movements and accels matching?

If you’re going to flip the axis around every time you use the rotary, yes, I expect a second configuration would likely be easiest.

Perfect, that makes sense, Thanks Oz!

I think I am solved.

New LightBurn user as of today! I had the same question. Is there a way to identify the U axis version? My controller at least reports U axis functions on the display. I was going to throw another stepper driver in the machine to avoid having to unplug the Y axis every time, but if that’s not going to work, I won’t bother.

Do you know if there’s a common solution to that? I’m thinking a variation on Nick’s relay solution might be an option. I’m going to install a receptacle for the rotary axis in the work area and I could have the relay automatically switch over when it’s plugged in. Opening the side panel and fussing with pluggable terminal blocks every time is not a great solution.

Most Ruida controllers have a U axis, but it’s designated for a feeding table (basically a conveyor belt work area). I don’t know of a way to identify that special firmware version, but if you send a job to the rotary and the Y axis doesn’t move that would be a good indicator.

My own solution was to wire the step and direction pins from the controller to two motor drivers, but put the enable pins on a 3-pin toggle selector switch. You basically enable one motor and disable the other with the flip of a switch.

Oz,

I thought of that, but my build is in landscape mode so I dubbed the short vertical axis Y so my head didn’t explode doing rotation/translation functions in my wee head.

My 3 ganged 4PDT relay design does the 3 way shell game for me with the Pulse/Dir and Endstop reconfig with a single on/off switch. I’m just waiting on Amazon to deliver them.

The advantage to my build, is that it keeps the X gantry motors alive as the U axis, allowing me to jog that axis from the keypad to put the scanning axis in the middle of my rotary if needed. An unintended bonus :slight_smile:

Others that kept the Y axis as the longer horizontal motion in the original Y-1200 build from Furtger Fabrications can use the enable pin as you outlined.

Hmm, the enable switch idea sounds good. My machine had holes where the manual Z axis controls would go that I’ve already filled with (unused) switches from my switch assortment simply because I didn’t have any hole plugs of the right size. One of those could easily be the axis selector. Having it automatically switch when plugged in would be handy, but Nick’s got a good point - it’s useful when aligning the rotary axis with the X axis.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.