Ruida controller wiring question

I’m awaiting delivery of a new 100-watt CO2 laser with a Ruida controller. Until now I’ve used diode lasers mounted on my CNC. My question is about control wiring.

On a diode laser, power is supplied to the driver from a discrete power supply. The laser connects to the driver and a control signal is sent to the driver from the controller through two wires.

Is the control setup the same with a CO2? Obviously the laser has its own power supply. I know the controller also controls motion, but does it have two wires that control the laser output?

The laser is powered by a specific high voltage PSU (~20kv)
The controller and steppers are powered by a different (or multiple) PSU’s
The controller has a connection to the LPSU to control the power, if you have a laser that is able to be power controlled.

This may help: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qvpTlbWQfPBPC9FW5Bplegk6BNcpd3gH

I think this is what I was looking for. It SHOULD work exactly the same way a diode laser works if I’m right. It “has a connection”. Is this connection 2 wires? They would simply tell the LPSU when to fire the laser and at what power level?

It’s a PWM signal, usually, but very much depends on your laser, supply and controller.

You need to give more information to get a better answer.

Your machine should come wired.

Understood. It’s a 100-watt Chinese with the Ruida RDC6445G controller. No idea on the power supply yet, more info on that when I have it. I know it comes wired, I’m looking into a modification in case it’s needed.

Thanks for the info!

There are usually two connections for CO2 glass tube lasers. One is TTL (called L-On on a Ruida controller) and that is what enables the high voltage output on the LPSU. The other, PWM, L-PWM, or Analog out, is the power level. They’re independent, and Ruida typically ramps the power up on the L-PWM output before turning on the L-On signal.

On RF-excited metal tubes, only the L-PWM output is used. You can configure this in the vendor settings of the controller, which means a Ruida can also control diodes, as this is more commonly how those work.

This is kind of what I’ve been curious about. Thanks for the info!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.