Ruida vs Smoothie

Smoothie Vs Ruida?

I have a Cohesion3d Mini running my Chinese 1500x1200mm G.Weike 100 watt co2 glass tube laser. It’s running the new firmware build of smoothieware which slightly outperforms GRBL-Lpc. However, it’s fiddly and my setup often gives out, stressing me to no end! I’ve spent countless hours trying to get things to work reliably.

Downsides:

1. Can’t get homing switches going
  2. It’s difficult to keep wiring in check - fiddly pin based connections that can drop out
  3. Can’t connect the screen over the long distance required (voltage drop?)
  4. If computer or connection fails (which it does), I have an expensive piece of customer owned material I have to pay for (homing switches issue)…
  5. Speed maxes out at 270mm/s before I get jolts and an error. My machine when bought stock should be able to handle 400mm/s, which I would like for etching, or better…

All in all … I want an easy, robust and quality solution, but without corner over burn.

Your thoughts … wondering if I should go ahead and get a Ruida…?? Budget around $600.

Is it worth it?? Thanks all!

Adding a Ruida controller isn’t going to help your homing switches or wiring, but it’s robust, and much faster than the C3D.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.