Sculpfun s9 tile burning with 1 or 2 layers of paint

So…really new still. I’ve been playing with settings, both power and speed, both single coat and double coated tiles. My images always come out darker than my test burn samples…like really dark. I understand that the image and how it is converted has alot to do with then finished product, and also the way they are sprayed and thickness of the paint. I’ve been painter for over 35 yrs. I do know how to spray paint evenly, so pretty sure that is not the issue. The image looks really good. I am using a 318 DPI (I dropped to to 245 for 2x2 test burns), it’s just so dark. I’ve used just a medium green with black top coat, and also a red, green, black top coat. i’ve done everything from 1200 mm up to 3000. Varying power from 4% to 60%. I just don’t see a change in the picture image…just way too dark and with the 2 colors with black top, I just got the bottom color, Red in this case.

I am sure I am missing something but I am not sure what. It could be then pic image, but I even used ImagR and used pass through in LB…same results. If anybody has any ideas what I am doing wrong, and I am sure I am, thank you for any suggestions.
Cheers Guys, and thanks for any ideas.
Brad

So I intentionally ‘unfocused’ the laser. It’s a fixed focus with a 22 mm gauge block for setting proper distance. I increased it by 3mm (approx actually 1/8") and it is so much better. I’ve done this for simple wood engravings, not photo quality, and again get much better results. I’m still not sure why the test patterns at the given focus length were so different from actual burns with the same material. But if anyone else is having similar issues, I’d suggest varying the focus length. It’s certainly a bit of a learning curve.
Brad

1 Like

Please post some pictures of what worked. I’m sure it will help others get to their goal.

These are still pretty basic test runs. The ‘Gollum’ series was with red and green layers topped with black using 1200-1800 mm/min and power from 5% to 20%. The middle top was the desired effect I was looking for at 1200mm and 9% unfocused. It’s not obvious in the picture, but there are shades of red in there too.

The two ‘Aliens’ were both run at 1200mm/min and 9% power on a green layer topped with black. The bottom is the unfocused attempt which seems much better.


I will try some galaxies and planets on tile later today.
Brad

1 Like

This is a good example of not being in focus as opposed to using their calibration block. Both ran at 1200mm/min. The one on the right I did resize a bit and ran at a lower DPI. 150 instead of like 254 just for time’s sake. It’s about a 45 min burn as opposed to over an hr. The one on the left is almost invisible at normal light.

Its 1 layer of royal blue, seafoam blue, and candy apple red sprayed in stripes and top coated black.

1 Like