Settings to "calibrate" power percentages?

I think we might be thinking of two different things!

Maximum power you want to run a 60w laser tube at is 20mW. In my case, with my current power supply, that translates to “42%” – If I send a job anywhere between 43% and 100%, the controller will cap it at 42%. If I send a job at “50%” instead of scaling it down to 21% power, the DSP will just run it at 42%, which is effectively 100% for my tube.

When it comes to sharing libraries, my machine calibration would be WAY off, and I’d get awful results just using someone else’s library, even if we’re both 60w machines. If the controller weren’t limiting power, I’d immediately blow my tube on a lot of jobs too.

My particular situation of deliberately oversized PSU may not be entirely common, but I have seen a lot of the 300x700 CO2 machines that are advertised at “50w” that will drive the 40w tube they have in them at 20-25mA when running at 100% (maximum output on those being at 15mA). If the user is aware of it and tells the DSP to cap the power, they still have to scale their power rating, and just like in my case, recommendations and shared libraries become useless.

scaling power in lightburn to make “100%” be “whatever percentage gives maximum tube current” would be a massive step into the ability to share libraries.

The only “master” library I would suggest (and I agree that it’s probably an unnecessary complication) would be a master material list, with entries like “Baltic Birch, 3mm, Cut” or “Rubber Stamp Blank, 3mm, Engrave”

Say for the sake of argument, you and I both had 60w machines with the same size tube, but different manufacturers of tube, power supply, machine, and/or controller, a different sized air assist pump, and a different nozzle style. We could both calibrate our machines individually for “Acrylic, 3mm” and come out with different settings for cutting and engraving.

With this scenario, if I were to send you a lightburn file where the blue layer is cut, and red is engrave, both tagged with “acrylic, 3mm,” lightburn could pull your own settings from your own library and apply to those layers. Just an ability to cross-reference material types. Either way, you create your own settings for your own machine.

Again, I realize after putting this through my fingers several times that a material reference of this type is probably an unnecessary complication, especially for anyone who already knows what they’re doing. I’ve just spent a lot of time helping folks get started that my view is probably skewed toward that perspective.

That said, I still think that scalable power in lightburn on a per-machine basis would be a good thing. I have more than one machine, one where 100% output from software = correct max tube current, and my machine with oversized PSU, where 42% output from software = correct max tube current. I know at some point it’s inevitable that I’ll foul something up between machines and and set power at 50%. The controller will cap it at 42% but it’ll still dump more power into my material than I want it to. It’ll also be helpful to those with the “50w” machines who have limited max power and put themselves in a similar situation as me.

The settings library doesn’t currently work the way you suggest - Pulling a setting from the library applies a copy of it to the file, and there’s no link back to the original. If you were to completely change all the settings in your library and then reload an old file, whatever settings were stored with the file will still be there, intentionally.

It wouldn’t be too hard to add a “library name” entry and have that checked on load to see if you’d like to re-apply the setting from the lib, but I have to have all the settings stored with the file or it would be impossible to share with another computer that didn’t have your library.

Not sure if I’m reading this correctly, but my tube is a 50 w, max current 18Ma. My PSU is max output 22Ma. I also want to only drive my tube at 80% to prolong the life. So in my case (using 8 bit logic) 255 in my $30 parameter would tell the PSU to give a full 22Ma. As that is more than I want, I put 200 in to LB for Max S1 setting. Then I simply need to put 100% in my cut setting to get my 80% of max current for my tube - 15Ma. This would prevent someone over driving their tube if they used a cut profile with 100% in it. It wouldn’t give them the same results as me, but it would prevent damage.

The $30 setting is a number to tell the controller what maximum value to expect from your software, and they should agree on this, though you can use it to do what you’re asking, but it would work the other way around.

If you tell GRBL and LightBurn that the maximum S value is 255, then when you set 100% power in LightBurn it sends an S value of 255. GRBL has also been told that the max is 255, so it sets the PWM engine to 100%.

If you told LightBurn that the highest S value was 204 (80% of 255), then when you set 100% power in LightBurn, it will send 204. Since GRBL still thinks 100% is 255, you get 80% power. You also get less precision, because you’re now using fewer than 8 bits, so it’d be better (and easier on your brain) to set GRBL to $30=1000 and set the S-Value Max in LightBurn to 800.

If you’re using GRBL 1.1g, there are actual settings for the low / high end of the PWM range that are independent of the Spindle Max value, which makes it a little easier to tune for CO2 systems.

Thanks Oz, that’s how I am using it. 255 in gbrl and 206 in LB. 100% gives me 15ma. I did try using 1000 and 800, but didn’t get the results I expected. I was suspicious that the Nano control board wasn’t handling the 1000 properly. Interested to hear more about the new settings in 1.1g

Cheers

David