Single Stepping for Inspection and Touching up

Hi all. I am a partially sighted maker, as such alignment and job inspection are difficult / impossible. To help out, I attached an ottoscope (endoscope for ears), to the laser (instead of a red dot) for alignment. This is great for precision alignment, but I had an idea that I could also use this for inspection and touch-up.
I appreciate that in an ideal world, using good materials library, one shouldn’t really need to inspect the job, and it should just come off the machine, perfectly cut, but for many reasons, this may not always be possible.
What I thought would be nice is if I could use an offset such that the camera would follow the laser path (step by step, at variable but quite slow speed). Then, if there is a defect it would be good to be able to run the last step or few steps with the laser or perhaps running a macro pattern at a specific location. Using a very bright light, under the honey-combe, I could also check that the laser has burned right through the job everywhere. Anyone got any ideas for the single stepping and repeating?

Your help much appreciated.

There’s nothing built-in that I’m aware of that will quite do what you’re asking but I can think of some workarounds that might help a bit.

Your needs are very specific so I may not be fully grasping some of the user experience considerations so apologize if that’s the case. Here are some thoughts after reading your needs.

First, I’m going to assume that the ootoscope works independently of LightBurn, as in it will be on and functioning no matter what LightBurn is actually doing. So the primary support you need is the ability to track the laser path and be able to carefully go through section by section to inspect the work.

After thinking it through I think you could break the problem down into these sections:

1. alignment of ottoscope to laser path
  2. ability to drive the aligned machine along the path
  3. ability to step-through or control speed
  4. ability to operationalize this in a reasonable way

1. As for alignment… I think you could use the Laser offset feature in Device Settings to handle this but may require some careful toggling of the offset. Are you using this feature today to do alignment? If so, I think you could potentially untoggle this when doing the inspection. If so, I believe the ottoscope would be aligned to the actual cut line. Depending on how you use this today there’s likely a method of using this approach to get alignment.
  2. For following the path you could either change the cut settings of the cut layer to 0% power or create a duplicate of the cut layer dedicated for use of inspection. This should guarantee that you’re inspecting along the same path
  3. I think the step through will be the most challenging aspect of this. I see a few options. 1) set the layer to an extremely slow speed. Then use the dynamic Move controls to increase/decrease feedrate as required. Also, you could use the Pause button to stop and start the movement of the laser
  4. Operationalizing this will largely depend on how tolerant you are for a bunch of manual interventions. How you use the ottoscope today and tolerance for the pause/start approach will be factors. I suspect you’re accustomed to dealing with inconvenience.

While I certainly applaud the use of an ottoscope, you may have better luck utilizing the head mounted camera features in LightBurn for a more tightly integrated setup. A built-in workflow for inspection of a cut via the camera is not yet a reality. However, using something like an inexpensive endoscope mounted in the same position as the laser’s output may be a good alternative. You could re-run the cut with the laser disconnected/disabled and view the output on screen.

I’m assuming this is going on your Atomstack R130?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.