Small fire procedure - How to move laser head away FAST?

You say: “I’m not currently experiencing fires, but I keep reading “don’t leave it unattended, have an extinguisher, you will get a fire” etc. So I’m trying to be prepared. Unless I’m overthinking it?”

But in your original question, you said: “Small flames tend to go away when I’m cutting acrylic, . . .”

You are experiencing fires!

Like many others said, a combination of the right speeds and power settings plus air assist should inhibit fires. You don’t want to cut using max power along with very slow speed to cut thick or very thick material, instead use 2 or more passes to accomplish the cutting job.

Ok sure :slight_smile: I’ve had a flame jetting out from under some acrylic (maybe the protective film?) which disappeared within half a second, but I was more concerned with fires that need dealing with. As you say, should that occur I will know the power/speed is wrong, and I’ll make a note of that for future reference, but in that moment I’m probably going to want to put the fire out, hence the question about best practice. Once I’ve got all my material settings dialled in, I don’t expect to see flames.

Thanks, I will look into that.

A spritz bottle of water is a cure for small to medium flare ups. You are nearby whenever the laser is on aren’t you?

Good point. I am indeed - my machine is still new and exciting enough that I’m mostly stood there watching/filming in wonder.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.