Sold my beloved K40

I sold my beloved K40 today, way too cheap. :cry:
But in return I have got a little more space in the workshop and we will probably get a new member here in the forum, it’s not bad either. :+1:

2 Likes

Hey! That’s my hometown team logo.

Goodbye ol’ K40. We hardly knew you.
:cry: :champagne:

You’ll have to update your profile to add your new system and ‘bury’ the K40. RIP.
Or, would you call it a divorce? :thinking:
An amicable parting of the ways? :crossed_fingers:

Keep in mind that if you do replace it, the new machine will take up far more room.

You’re right, but it hurts.
It has been standing still for a month, but I want to show the buyer that it works, so water on and we cut 4mm playwood … nice machine, really nice machine …, I think the man will be happy.
Now I just need to sell my first love - my Aleksmaker 5.5Watt, … I think I save it, it does not take up much space either, upright :wink:

… it has been replaced !!! - and the new one fills twice as much space :flushed:

1 Like

replaced with?

p.s.: can i ask at what price have you sold your beloved K40?

ca. $230, Mini-Gerbil alone costs $ 90…

Have updated the profile, good you mentioned it because I forgot it when I bought my OMT.

damn… at this price… unluckily we are too far…

argh, I was also a little annoyed afterwards that I have set the price so low. On the other hand, it only took 20 minutes to get more space in the workshop.
By the way … I also have a 3040 cnc I have not used for a year or more … :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

hmmmm naaa looking for K40, even if my wife will throw me and K40 out of the window… :joy:

I would always highly recommend a K40, to start with. I would even skip the diode laser as the first time laser, unless you just want to engrave.
Only downside, the M2 controller (needs to be replaced), the working area is with 320x230 too small and a height adjustment of laser head is missing but it can be added later. This also applies to air for the nozzle, it must also be added later.

1 Like

all things that i know thanks to you former users of K40 :wink:

… then get started and talk to your wife buy some flowers for her and order the K40!
And remember to do once in a while something useful or beautiful with the laser for the wife and emphasize that it can be much better and nicer with a bigger machine … (do not say you can make money with the machine, it is certainly not easy)

1 Like

A loving good by to my past K40. I would suggest skipping the K40 and get something bigger. The mods to the K40 are easy but considering the cost that can go to a more powerful and larger bed size machine.

I moved up to a 60 and now wish I would have gone to an 80. I’ll probably mod up the 60 to an 80 or again sell this and buy and 80. No matter what machine spend the money and get the best lenses you can afford. Huge difference with the cut depth, cleanliness of the cuts… huge difference. If folks use/keep there K40 mod it up to the best lenses and get a much better blower, not a heavy duty aquarium pump either.

I still think a K40 is technically and economically an ideal starting machine. Even though there are extra costs in addition to the price of the machine for cooling, compressed air and better lens / mirrors and nozzle … it is still “only” a third of what I just paid for my OMT 6040 / 60W. I have been working seriously for some years with this little machine and it has paid for itself, several times.

Not to forget, if you start it all as a hooby, spend a lot of time with the machine and get smart, then you go one step further and buy a big laser, if you in turn lose the desire after a few months, then the financial damage is manageable.

I never had a K40 but based on the comments I read for years it requires somewhat technical modifications to get it to work well. Some folks are fine with that and others don’t have a clue or desire. I think that’s the market Glowforge has worked hard to meet (and at the other end of the price range from K40), simple for the user to operate.

I do not completely agree with you.
Glowforge is a completely different machine. I’m sure the quality and service are fine with them, but you’re trapped in their software system and you have to buy their spare parts, preferably their own material to engrave and cut with, and all that for a price factor x10 compared to a K40.
But it is completely correct if there is a wife who is bored alone at home and wants to make her own sticks with a name for the vegetables in her garden, or a school class that has everything but also lacks a laser, here fits a Glowforge fine ind.
It definitely takes a bit of craftsmanship to get a K40 safe and technically in order, but you get a fine and cheap workhorse for your efforts.