Solid Cherry plaque I created for a local band here in Northern Ireland

Was the first time transferring a PNG through The Dudes script in Photoshop and then Lightbburn for the rest. Really enjoyed making it and they were delighted :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s really nice Jamie. Do you mind sharing machine type and settings you used? Did you pre coat the wood with finish or use tape before engraving?
TIA

David

Hi David thanks for the comment. I can’t remember of-hand the exact settings as it was my first engraving from a PNG. The dpi was probably a lot higher than others would normally use. Was probably ran at about 180/220 speed. The Cherry was sanded to 500 grit and finished with a finishing oil which did darken it. But Cherry would darken on its own anyway, under normal light it looks great. I’ve a 150w reci 1800x1200 Chinese special lol. My dot size would be larger than most smaller machines. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thanks Jamie. I am trying to find a good way to avoid “soot” marks on shallow engravings on light wood. Deeper ones are not a problem as they can be sanded off. Using tape on complex images is a pain to get off. So just trying if pre sealing with poly might be a good thing.

Cheers

David

You could try increasing your air output.

It’s pretty high now, can feel the wind in my hair:-) It’s very light 6mm ply rather than real wood so does Tend to produce more smoke

I have found great success “weeding out” the detailed cut remains by using low-tack transfer tape to start with and then remove the small cut remains by applying a high-tack tape (duct tape) on top of the low-tack tape, press hard to adhere then remove the high-tack tape and the low-tack should be removed as well.

Hi David , I do a lot of stuff on thin ply and find that if I just give it one or sometimes 2 coats of clear varnish (often use floor sealer or anything cheap and cheerful), it then engraves well and just needs a quick rinse in water and swipe with soft brush to remove all soot etc. I usually just precoat whole sheets. Just FYI.

Rick and Bill, both useful tips, I’ll try both. Just did one engraving with the spray polyurethane and that seems to have worked ok, although I thought I had lost a little detail. Might need a very small increase in power perhaps?

Cheers

David