Starting point tool not working

I cannot seem to get the set starting point tool to do anything. Nothing looks different when I click it, if I click it then click a part of a shape, nothing happens. I’ve tried adding auto lead in and out to these shapes and they’re still burning a dark dot where the path begins or ends, so if I could make the point at the bottom where the U shape is, at the point, it wouldn’t be as noticable, but I cannot seem to get lightburn to do anything at all with the starting point tool. when I click the node tool nothing happens there either. Is this a setting that should be on? I run Lightburn for mac, latest ios and latest lightburn.

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 12.03.40 pm

That tool will only work on ungrouped items. If the tool is not available, make sure you have ungrouped the objects to individual simple shapes. It may require multiple stages of ungroup.

Yep its ungrouped, that’s me selecting only the outline oval shape. Still nothing.

Can you upload the .lbrn file here for review? I’ve never had this not work for vector designs that are fully ungrouped.

lightburn starting point.lbrn (14.7 KB)
Sure, here it is, I’ve deleted everything except the cut path so you can easily see, it starts the shape at the top no matter what I click. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

I was able to get this to work. Select the object and ungroup (cmd-u).

OMG thank you, that makes NO sense because it’s only one object, technically it can’t be grouped with anything… but it worked!!

Yeah. It’s a little counterintuitive for that reason. Once you realize in general that LightBurn can occasionally have groups of one object then you start seeing it all the time.

1 Like

For sure, I’m coming across from experience with Illustrator etc so sometimes I expect it to work the same and get caught out like this, thank you thank you!!

If you’re coming from Illustrator one thing to keep in mind is that LightBurn doesn’t really have an explicit concept of compound paths. It treats any overlapped objects as essentially a compound. By grouping those objects it formalizes that relationship but the grouping is handled essentially the same way as any other group. Meaning grouping covers both compound path use cases as well as traditional grouping use cases.

I think this is where this one object group might be coming from.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.