Stop limit switches aren't stopping Laser head from banging against limits on startup

I tested both axis from the sensor ensuring the controller could detect when the switch was triggered.

You have checked all you can that I can think of… proper operation of the switches to the controller and that the controller is configured to home on the X axes.

Your introductory statement seems to indicate it’s intermittent, which usually means that it has a lose connection or some kind of hardware problem. It seems you would have found any lose wires, so the only thing I can think of is a controller problem.

I don’t know what to suggest at this point. If I were going to change out the controller I’d try to update/upgrade the controllers firmware, but I doubt that will fix it.

Controllers aren’t low cost, but I don’t know where to send or advise you at this point…

:smile_cat:

Thanks for your help. I will keep trying and maybe just get a new controller.

I have continued testing and have noted two things:

1. The bolt that controls the belt tension is the first thing that comes in contact when the machine misses the x-axis limit switch and makes impact.
  2. When I manually move the gantry to where the limit switch should be triggered when zeroed, and then move in the y direction, the limit switch erratically turns off and on.
    I don’t know which was the chicken and which was the egg, but I will fix them both and post my results. Both are mechanical problems.
1 Like

Make this happen, then stop moving the Y axis.
THEN, gently move the wires around to see if the X light flickers.
If no flicker, try tapping lightly on the frame near the X switch, again checking for flicker.
If no flicker for X, then GENTLY push and pull on the X switch and/or actuator.
If no flicker, go to the input at the controller and gently move the wires to the X switch input.
If no flicker, put a fan on the controller, wait 10 minutes, and go back to the “Make this happen” line, but move Y to see if you still get X flicker.
If at any point, you answer yes to the test, you have found the culprit. If you still can’t determine the cause of the X flicker, get an electronics technician or Amateur Radio operator to assist.
Be patient and do not rush the diagnostics.

One last question… Did you move the switch or actuator position slightly to reduce your X travel?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.