Striations in the fill

Oh yes, the annoying section of lightburn. I will get you the $$ data.

I constantly have this section popup when any of my projects end forcing me to have to go back and click back into the cut section where I wish it would stay. The console has been nothing but a pain for me so I will be glad if it yields something positive.

Sure, so there is a pot on most models, mine is a digital interface and there you can control the power setting or max power and allow the software to utilize a percentage of it, or at least that is what seems to happen.

I am curious how long did it take? I too can slow things down and use less power but why? My goal is to get the project done as fast as possible without sacrificing quality. So if I can run the machine at a higher laser output and gain speed then thatā€™s a perfect trade to me. Is there something I am missing to why thatā€™s not a good process?

Again thanks for your insight!

Well, there is nothing wrong with the way you look at it. I also try to drive as efficiently as possible, but when you reach a limit where it all knocks and almost falls apart, then the limit is exceeded, in my opinion and an original K40 does not survive in the long run to be ā€œstressedā€.
I have not noted the time, nen think it was about 4 min per image.
I am also convinced that over one whose speed you lose quality.

can you try to do a little test engraving where you have set your system to mm / min in the settings and report back how fast you can drive without it ā€œhurtingā€?

ā€¦ And type $$ in the console and see what value $110 and $110 is set to

I am totally happy slowing down or decreasing power if thatā€™s the right call. I was under the impression that 20mA was the safe top end of the stock K40 tube so thatā€™s where I set my max.

Itā€™s rare that I get anywhere close to that power level in normal use.

My cuts on 3mm ply is set to 10mA at 10mm which is a slight bit of overkill. When engraving I like to get down between .5mm - .75mm in depth.

I would assume my $110 is set to stock settings as I have never messed with anything to do with $$. I will check my shops light burn after breakfast (7:40a) here and the family and I enjoy a slow paced Sunday. The shop is outside so it will be a bit till I go out there.

Is the $$ the smoothieware config, I am not sure what data that is?

No forget it, these are gerbil commands / setup, it is not suitable for smoothieware. I do not know how your values are stored or how to adjust them in smoothieware. (sometimes I am blind with the laser eye)
At https://gist.github.com/nuess0r/1e19fe7ac8723345e31a096a602a407bare standard settings for a K40 and they look reasonably similar to those from the gerbil.
What I was interested in is whether your settings in LigtBurn are not slowed down by the value that is in your machine setup and you do not actually run 250 mm / sec. I use completely different speeds like you. (of course after I have converted from mm / s to mm / min)

Power, I have always understood that 16 mA should be max for a standard Chinese ā€œ40ā€ Watt tube.
How long did it take you to engrave the test file that you sent to me?

I went to the link but got a 404 error?

I never knew that 16mA was the max. I am prepared to buy a new rated tube if need be. In the meantime I will make an effort to keep it below 16mA.

As to timeā€¦ well I have never really clocked it. I use Lightburn to tell me how long itā€™s going to take and I set an alarm and return when the alarm goes off. Most everything I do takes 30min - 2hours 30mim so I tend not to stick around unless I am troubleshooting or testing.

I will run that file I sent you and tell you how long it took.

So I went out to burn and time it and now some other goofy thing is going on. No matter where I put the object in the project it will only trace it near the left corner.

I am so done with this ā€œupgradedā€ processor and software I am ready to go back to the old processor. Yes the software is better but all the issues I have now just donā€™t seem worth it. Itā€™s like being a developer for a new product vs something that should be pretty plug and play tried and true. I keep getting servos that whine as if they are being stopped yet they are not blocked and smooth, constantly has start up issues where I have to restart because of servos, now there is this software issue. Iā€™m pulling my hair out and have been for two month and I just want to run one thing many times and be done.

Sorry to vent just done and tons on my plate where I donā€™t have time ti beta test. I expect some things like the power spike that was causing missed steps and distorting my runs but hardware that doesnā€™t work and now software issues grrrrrr.

Itā€™s not good to hear about all your problems, but if itā€™s something important you need to produce, go back to a well-functioning version of LightBurn. Be a little patient, it is after all the best laser software on the market and I think the people from LB are running at high pressure to solve the problems.

you are lucky, on a my old standard power supply there is no potentiometer unfortunately, I have always wanted to down-regulate my power supply so I can use the right scale from 1 to 100 in LightBurn, but it does not work.

It depends how youā€™ve wired it.

I take it out of the loop and let Smoothieware control the upper limit. You canā€™t over-drive the tube that way.

22mA for an 80mm/800mm tube. but it wonā€™t live long at that power.

20mA is the usual upper limit for reliability, but he 50mm tubes are pushing it at that power.

Itā€™s very smart, I do not have this option with my Mini-Gerbil.

I also know this table but the described 40Watt tube is a real 40Watt tube, K40 is delivered with 700mm in length and is only a max 30-35 Watt tube. Here, max.16-18 mA is more recommended.