The magic of chipboard (greyboard)

I guess it’s pretty “temperamental” …:joy:

Sorry I couldn’t help myself.

:beers:

Sas

1 Like

Tempered hardboard (Masonite for us old folks) is nothing like chipboard/greyboard. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am not referring to tempered hardboard. What I am telling you is in the building materials section at Homedepot, they sell this chip board in 4x8 sheets. It’s considered sheathing sealant or something. I’ll take a picture of it when I’m there again.

Also, you can buy it thinner (about 1/16 to 3/32” thickness) in 2 or 3’ wide rolls that are 25 or 50 feet long as temporary floor protection.

Is this the dark brown stuff? I like that stuff for sliding things on and because it’s so smooth. Drawer slides and stuff. I was under the impression the flame retardant in it made it practically impossible to cut so hadn’t tried.

Hi Guys …new here.
I have been cutting MDF and Ply for years and the gung can be a pain so keep your mirrors and lens claen!..I bought a sheet of 3mm expanded aluminium to put over the bed then on this I put those plates with spikes they use to hold timber joints together the spikes stop the beam reflecting to the underside of the cut and allow a nice space for air…all the gunge goes on this setup and keeps my bed clean for acrylic etc…takes two mins to set up and to clean them just chuck them in a bucket of soapy water.

As an add on I have found the cheap stuff from the warehouses dont always cut evenly there is laser MDF and ply a little dearer but saves on the frustration

I made the same bed device as you with the same positive effect. I often work with MDF and use it for mechanical parts. It is easier to cut through than Masonite, but smoke generation and the smell are even worse than Masonite, with a proper venting it is no problem. The relatively cheap price is also important to note.

Yeah its not pleasant to work with …I way prefer ply but often the twist in it is awfull.
(BTW do I spy a steampunk ???)

John

yes, I am working on a Tellurium :wink:

2 Likes

thats cool…my alter ego is a steam_undertaker We drive a hearse with mags ans sidepipes.
Unfortunately I don’t have an artistic flare.

Don’t you have a picture or sketch? There is almost everything on the web ;-), often for free but sometimes for a little money. I also bought the drawings for my small project but had to modify a lot. I love the process itself.

My wife has a craft stall (fairy-nuff)… She does basic artwork… My skill is turning things into reality… I am more into technical drawings… I started with lasers to make Boeing 737 flight simulator… I get a few basic 3d part drawings off the thingyverse

With your background, you have all the prerequisites for having fun with a laser and your wife will probably set you up to produce all sorts of strange things women can find out to buy and sell.
I am also not the artistic creative type but I can see what is beautiful and what is not so beautiful. Often I have an idea but it is a little difficult to start visualizing it. And then I see something that looks a little like it and I start constructing and drawing it in Lightburn. It’s possible I’m not that artistic but I’m persevering and I keep going.

Herman? Is that you?

1 Like

I wish LOL
ours is everso humble

1 Like

thermoPLY structural sheathing 4x8 sheet @ $11.75:

Ram Board floor protection:

My number one question…

How does it smell after a laser beam kisses it?

Second question what’s in the mix?

:beers:

Sas

PS I found the Spec Sheet

https://www.ramboard.com/docs/Green-Product-Statement.pdf

@Sasquatch, I made a video of the initial testing of Ram Board. But there is something very unique about this test. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

What products do you make from the Ram Board?