The property editor does not take changes made by hand

Hi,

The property editor does not take changes made by hand. (It was the same with the old versions)

Example:

• Make a square of 50x50
  • Extend it by pulling on the handles at 50x100
  • The property editor always displays 50x50

This is also annoying, because if you create a square with rounded corners (e. g. 5 mm) if you extend this square with the handles, the roundness is no longer 5 on both sides, but 5 and 10
This can be interesting because it can make an ellipse, but it is not always the desired goal.

This is not a blocking bug because we can do otherwise (enter the new dimensions in the dialog box)

:slightly_smiling_face:

When you use the drawing tools in LightBurn to create circles, rectangles, polygons and text, we call these “primitive objects”. These objects are handled as special objects inside LightBurn. Below is some information I shared with another member but the concept is the same.

If you created the circles using the ‘Create Ellipse’ tool in LightBurn, the resulting shape is known as a primitive object (circles, rectangles, polygons and text) and these are special objects - text can be changed, a rectangle can have the corners rounded, etc… These shapes can be managed and changed in several ways with differing results. If you create a circle then change it by entering new width or height in the top toolbar, you are changing the “scale” of the original object. If you want to change the size of that original primitive object, do that in the ‘Shape Properties’ window for that object. You can take the primitive object out of its special state by selecting the object and convert it to paths by selecting ‘Edit’>-‘Convert to Path’. You will then be able to edit nodes and change size via upper toolbar controls as you are wanting.

For your request, edit the size of your rectangle using the ‘Shape Properties’ window or convert your shape to a path, then you can edit size using top toolbar tools without scaling.

Thank you very much for this detailed and clear explanation.
The more I explore and test, the more I find this program wonderful and logical. This is rare for such a young software and the addition of features is fast.
(I am a developer, I appreciate the quality of good coding and technical support)
Congratulations to the team.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

To illustrate this a little bit differently, look at this image as a starting point:

I’ve just created this rectangle, 40mm x 30mm, and both the Shape Properties and the top toolbar Width and Height values are the same.

In this next image, I have rotated the same rectangle 45 degrees. The top toolbar Width and Height values are aligned with the main axis of the view, so now it’s a 49.5mm object in both directions, but the Width and Height of the original rectangle are still meaningful:

Here, I’ve squished the rectangle left to right:

At this point, it’s not even a rectangle any more, so the original Width and Height values of the underlying primitive are kind of meaningless, but they’re still present. What I want to do at some point is have the system check to see if the transformation applied to the shape contains uniform or only axis-aligned scale, and if so, push the changes into the underlying primitive, otherwise, auto-convert it to paths. For now, the explanation will have to suffice. :slight_smile:

1 Like