Transitioning from GCode to DSP Issues

I just retired my K40 and started with my Ruida 6442 red-and-black 80W Chinese laser. I found out that I had to upgrade my lightburn License. :slight_smile:

After deactivating the GCode license, I opted to use the “Trial version” until my order is “approved.” (I deactivated the GCode version, paid for the upgrade, and started Lightburn in trial mode.)

I opened an .lbrn file which I had created in GCode Everything looked fine . . . however, I noted that I had to increase the workspace area.

Additionally, when I tried to print, I get an error message that the machine “may be busy or paused” and I cannot proceed - even after rebooting the program and the laser cutter.

I wonder if there are any other settings I need to update when using files I created in the GCode version of LIghtburn – or if I can expect any other anomalies. Are there any noticible differences in working with the DSP version of LIghtbrun compared to the GCode version?

The reason you need to change the workspace is due to your need to define a new profile, to match this new hardware.

Have you created a ‘Device’ profile for your Ruida controller? The LightBurn files generated for your K40 will be very different that what you need to run the same job on your new hardware. If you have not, and are trying to talk to the new Ruida based laser using a GCode version and device profile, it will not work and give you communication errors.

1 Like

I have not yet created such a profile – and I don’t know how to do so at this point.

Are there some instructions I should read somewhere which covers all the bases?

Are there defaults which I could simply enter?

I hope I don’t have to completely rework all of the files I created in the GCode version of Lightburn . . .

You can review the first video from this post titled ‘Device Setup’.

Or simply click the ‘Device’ button in the lower-left of the ‘Laser’ window. then select to create a profile ‘Manually’. Select Ruida, complete the remaining screens, hitting ‘Next’ until you complete all screens, then select the ‘Finish’ button. This will then try to establish a connection with the laser and will report the status of this connection and what you are connected to at the bottom-center section of the LightBurn window.

When you say, " I hope I don’t have to completely rework all of the files I created in the GCode version of Lightburn . . .", you should consider that these files were tuned to provide settings for a different system with different power (watts) and mechanical capabilities. Yes, you will need to make changes to the existing library of GCode files to run them correctly on the Ruida system. You will have a different range of power settings and will be able to drive the new system at different speeds than you were able to with the K40. “Completely rework” is a bit dramatic, but you will need to adjust the appropriate settings to fully benefit from all advantages the new gear provides.

1 Like

Very helpful thanks. I had found the Device button in the laser window and only managed to change the bed size. I’ll look for the other settings.

I was getting to be very proficient with Lightburn, but then have had a 6 month hiatus while I moved from Chicago to Colorado – and ordered the 80W and just now am getting it set up in my newly refurbished “man cave.”

I guess I WILL have to take note of cutting settings . . . 10% with 25 mm/sec will be completely different on an 80W machine!

I guess I was referring more to the design aspect rather than the settings aspect. It’s the designs which took me longer to complete.

Thanks again!

Placement in the workspace might need adjusting, but the designs themselves should not require any changes.

1 Like

You should create a new device profile, just to be certain that nothing weird carries over (it’s unlikely that it will). You can click ‘Find my Laser’ and the system should find the USB controller, figure out what it is, and automatically set the work area size for you. Then you just set the origin corner and you’re all done.

1 Like

Yes, even though the 700x500 workspace was defaulted, I can tell that the “home” is not entirely in the back right.

Does it really matter where the “origin” is set?

If you mean that the home location doesn’t precisely match one of the corners of the honeycomb bed, that is normal, yes.

1 Like

Is there is some way to set the home position to match the back corner of the honeycomb bed? Or should I just not obsess about that?

I still have to deal with the communication error “There was a problem sending data to the laser. The machine may be busy or paused*" which seems to be addressed elsewhere in the forums.

You’d have to physically move the limit switches - I wouldn’t worry about it.

The “machine may be busy” error will show up if you’ve never actually connected. When you run LightBurn, you should see “Found xxxxxx” along the bottom of the display, where ‘xxxxxx’ is the type of controller you have. Right-clicking on the Devices button will also re-try the connection. If you don’t see that message, you haven’t connected to the controller.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.