Trouble Grasping the Variable Text Tool

Sorry if this is a repeat question.

I would like to create ten nameplates during one burn with each plate having a different name. I have a test CSV file populated with numbers loaded into the Variable Text tool and have placed a %0 in each plate. The tool is set to increment by one. But when I click on “Test” all the plates show the same value?

Here is the CSV file I am using.
Book1.csv (207 Bytes)

I’m sure there is a simple solution to this but I can’t seem to find an answer.

Thanks for any help you folk can provide.

This video should help you.

1 Like

Auto-incrementing only happens when you Start or Send a job to your laser, and advances every Variable Text object in your project by the same amount.

In order for a different row of the CSV to output to each text block on each nameplate, you’ll need to apply an individual Offset to each one.

With an Offset of 1, and a Current value of 0 set in the Variable Text window, %0 will refer to second row of the CSV:

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 12.04.44 PM

So you want the first object to an Offset of 0, the second to have an Offset of 1, the third to have an Offset of 2, and so on.

If you create each of the copies of the nameplate using the Grid Array tool, you can set it to Auto-Increment the Offset by 1 with each copy.

Variable Text can be a bit tricky to wrap your head around the first few times you use it — let me know if I can clarify anything further. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the help gents. I finally got it to work. :grin::+1:

I was creating a nameplate and copy and pasting it.

When I used the “Create Array” tool to duplicate it everything came together perfectly.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.