Ubuntu - Laser burns during transitional moves on Totem S40

Hello the gentle LightBurn Staff :wink:
I have read some topics here before ask for help.
I have the latest Ubuntu OS (Mate) and the latest LightBurn version. I have installed my new TwoTrees Totem S40, all works fine except the laser who burns during transitional moves.
Here is the console report when connected to my device :

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]
[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]
Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]
[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]
[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]
ok
[VER:1.1f.20170801:]
[OPT:V,15,128]
Target buffer size found
ok

I think that my laser is a Diod, not a CO2 one, but not sure…

I did the connection to the Totem S manually, because the device is not found by Lightburn. So I choose the simple “GRBL”. Then Serial USB. Then the workspace 300 x 300 mm.
As I said : all works very fine, except my problem…

May I have to change GRBL choice by Ruida or Topwisdom instead ?
Thanks

Try this.

Thank you Willie
I tried with Ruida and also Topwisdom in the settings, but nothing work. So I have the idea to choose GRBL-M3 (1.1e or earlier) and… all work fine even the laser ! :partying_face:
That’s strange because the detected GRBL is 1.1f !
[VER:1.1f.20170801:]
[OPT:V,15,128]

The Totem is a diode laser, not CO2 and you don’t have RUIDA. Try the fix in that thread and see if that works for you.

2 Likes

If your laser is using GRBL, TopWisdom / Ruida will absolutely not work. They communicate in a completely different way, and GRBL will not recognize any of the commands.

Most likely your laser does not have the $32 setting (Laser Mode) enabled. If you are using LightBurn with the ‘GRBL’ device, it assumes $32=1 has been set to enable laser mode.

If you use GRBL-M3 as the device type, it assumes you are using an older version of GRBL that does not support the $32 setting, and uses a different method to turn the laser on and off.

3 Likes

Thank you for that, but where to set $32=1 in LightBurn ?

Hello Willie. Thank you very much for the help. The console of LightBurn ? I can write in ? Is the console of LightBurn send the code to the device controler ? Must I have to do this each time I use my laser device ?

Type it in the console tab, you should only have to write to the controller once.

Finaly I found where to put the code “$32=1” in the console. And I tried with GRBL settings (not GRBL-M3) and now my Totem S40 works fine even the laser.
I tried to turn of the device and also LightBurn, then Tried again without sending the $32=1 code in the console and everything works fine again !

Thank you very much for your support :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Capture du 2021-11-03 15-25-40

1 Like

Clo, for a bit of background info on these laser machines they are made up of a few types of parts:
Some stepper motors which move some belts which move the laser head back/forward/front/back
A controller board with firmware(software) which controls the motors using stepper motor driver modules which can be built onto the controller board( typical of Diode lasers) or separate motor driver modules as in many CO2 lasers.
The controllers can be very different with different firmware software doing the motor control work and often they are identifiedd by the firmware installed on them. GRBL, Ruida, Marlin, Smoothie, GRBL32, etc.
The laser module which for Diode Lasers is a self contained module attached to the laser head(part that moves in all 4 directions). CO2 lasers have a long laser tube in the back of the machine and the laser beam from this is reflected off many mirrors(typically 3) and the laser head is very small and many times is just a small mirror and lens. CO2 lasers require water cooling and circulation.
There are also some switches on the door lids, water flow and at the end of the movement of the laser head in the X direction(left/right) and Y direction(front/back).

Just some basics as you learn about how to use your machine and Lightburn.

2 Likes

I was thinking that the Gcode is a kind of language with the computer for all CNC device. But it seems that GRBL or Ruida or others, are the language. I am confusing with that. For me if the device works, that’s ok :innocent:

On the Totem S, The difficult thing is to focus the laser on the object. When I turn the screw to move up or down the laser emitter, I have to be very careful not to move the laser emitter chariot, and this is very difficult when my target object is in place to receive the drawing…

My work

1 Like

Also, I do not understand why we have to focus the laser beam ? I thought that the beam was the same from the emitter to the infinite… :man_student:

It’s “fixed focus”, the diode is focused so that when you have the shield set at a certain height above the work, it should be the “correct” height.

Always adjust the working height of the beam before you start a project.

1 Like

GCode is the language of many CNC controllers(firmware) but some controllers have created their own “language” the computer software uses to send commands to the CNC machine. Ruida does their own, stock K40 controller is the M2Nano which also has its own control language. GRBL firmware supports the GCode language. BTW, GCode is text based so you can open up a GCode file with a text editor and look at it or even change it.

2 Likes