Updated to 9.10 and now I can't burn

LightBurn had been working great until I updated to 9.10. Now I am unable to preview or burn. The “Go To Origin” took off in the X direction all the way to the machine limit. The main issue is that it won’t burn. I have 4 days left on my trial version and I now question if I will purchase this.

(windows 7 machine on a GRBL controller. All was good in prior version) :frowning:

UPDATE: I re-installed 9.09 and everything seems to be working now. I noticed that the controls in 9.10 were moved around. The pause button was where the play button was, the stop button was where the pause button was.

The controls were moved to prevent people from hitting Start when they intended to Frame.

If you install 0.9.10 again we can work through figuring out what the actual problem is.

1 Like

When I get done with this current project, I will re-load 9.10. What would be the first thing you would like me to try? I may be new to lasers but I have over 40 years working with computers. :slight_smile:

Draw a simple box in 0.9.09, make sure it burns, save to GCode. Do the same in 0.9.10 (same settings) and save to GCode. Post both files so we can compare them.

Sound simple enough. I will do that after this project is done. :+1:

; LightBurn 0.9.09
; GRBL-M3 (1.1e or earlier) device profile, absolute coords
G00 G17 G40 G21 G54
G90
; Cut @ 10000.02 mm/min, 100% power
M9
M5
G0X0Y0
M3
G1Y100S1000F10000
G1X100
G1Y0
G1X0
M5
M9
G1S0
G90
; return to user-defined finish pos
G0 X0 Y0
M2

1 Like

; LightBurn 0.9.10
; GRBL-M3 (1.1e or earlier) device profile, absolute coords
G00 G17 G40 G21 G54
G90
; Cut @ 10000.02 mm/min, 100% power
M9
M5
G0X0Y0
M3
G1Y100S1000F10000
G1X100
G1Y0
G1X0
M5
M9
G1S0
G90
; return to user-defined finish pos
G0 X0 Y0
M2

The square worked find in both versions. The project I had been working on which was one line of text was the issue. That project will not work in 9.10 and does work just fine in 9.09. When I started a new project in 9.10 and duplicated the text, that worked just fine too.

What I am still running into is the origin when I first start LightBurn is not where my laser it. It is some amount negative X and Y. Each time I fire up 9.10 and tell it to go to the origin, the laser head moves down and to the left. It did not do that in 9.09 and I am not seeing anything in the settings. I even clicked the Go To button with X0 and Y0 and even though the current position said it was at zero, it moved. The new location is X-39 Y-41. Any ideas on that?

Post the file that doesn’t work in 0.9.10 and I can possible figure out why.’

The origin when you first start LightBurn will be wherever your laser’s origin is. LightBurn has nothing to do with it. If your laser has homing switches, that will be where the origin is. If it doesn’t, the origin will be wherever the laser was when it was powered up, less any offsets programmed. You can see programmed offsets by entering #$ into the console and pressing enter.

If you don’t have homing switches, you’ll need to either manually set the origin (jog to the origin and enter G92 X0 Y0) or just use the software in ‘Current Position’ mode.

I am uploading the project that caused the issue. I hope you can see what is going on with it. (It isn’t allowing me to upload it. Seems I am a “new user”. :wink:

I think I have fixed the origin issue. When I enter #$ as suggested, I get “error:1” on the console. I did look at all the setting with $$ and didn’t see anything. What I did do was let it go where it thought X0Y0 was and then I ran this chunk of code:
G10 P0 L20 X0Y0Z0
That seemed to get it reset to where it needed to be. I only have 1 more day before my trial runs out. I hope I can get my testing done yet today to insure all is well. :slight_smile: I really have enjoyed LightBurn and would like to learn more about it. Someday I may even get a real laser. :wink:

Since I can’t upload the lbrn file, I changed its name to be a txt file and opened it in notepad. Here is the XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 1 0 0 1 -0.743332 11.7752

I guess that doesn’t work either. :frowning:

I changed your forum settings. You can now upload the LightBurn file.

If you need a bit more time, you can email your trial ID to support at lightburnsoftware dot com and we can extend it.

1 Like

Color Burn Test.lbrn (15.9 KB)
It looks like the forum is going to let me load the lbrn file. :slight_smile: I hope you are able to figure out what happened to this one.

That file opens and previews fine for me in 0.9.10

Just a single line of text set to fill at a 45 degree angle.

Interesting. That is the correct text. The cut angle is 90° off from how it would normally burn. When I try to preview it, It shows me a starting point and won’t play. When I started this project over from scratch, it worked fine. I have two computers set up with LightBurn and it reacts the same on each for me.

FWIW, the path in my preview is 90° off from how the arrows point in the cut settings editor.

Are you set to ‘Absolute Coords’ and does the file exceed the boundary of your workspace? If so, the text is being discarded because it’ll crash the machine.