Updating Laser Wattage in Lightburn

I’m upgrading my Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro 5 Watt Laser Module to a Laser Tree 10 Watt Module. They say that it is Plug and Play, but I’m thinking that I should have to somehow tell Lightburn that my max watt output is now 10 Watts. Will this be necessary and, if so, how do I do it?

No configuration change is necessary. What will end up happening, however, is that the power output for every power level will be higher that what you’re used to.

You will need to work through your different materials and “recalibrate” the proper power levels to get the look you want.

To eliminate that issue, all of these lasers are pulsed for power control.

The controlling signal ‘Pulse Width Modulation’ (PWM) is only a 5v signal. The pwm is set to a certain percentage of ‘on’ time. So it will control any laser wattage without the need to know power.

@berainlb advised, if set to 50% you will get 50% of the power of your new laser. Just like you got 50% of your old lasers power.

Make sense?

:smile_cat:

Also make sure your frequency is not different. Most diode laser run about 1KHz but some can do a little wider range i have found. This is in the machine settings section. @berainlb advised, if set to 50% you will get 50% of the power of your new laser. Just like you got 50% of your old lasers power. This holds true but i did have one instance where i needed a 12 volt pwm signal and the controller only supplied a 5 volt pwm so i created a doubler circuit for it and then it worked more correctly to the % range. The biggest problem i found with all these diode lasers was support and documentation. I just purchased the atomstack dual diode and was most impressed with the documentation and support.

Thanks guys; big help.

What controller do you have that requires 12volts for the pwm signal?

Seems like it would make it incompatible with everything else…

:smile_cat:

It wasn’t a controller it was one of my first Chinese diode modules.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.