Using KERF to leave more "meat" when dealing with finer details

Does anyone use the “Kerf” function just to move the laser out/in from the cut line, not necessarily for fitting parts together?

The reason I ask, is that some files are meant to be cut as a large piece, but I like to shrink some of them down, but when scaling down, the lines can become rather tight, and instead of re-drawing the part, kerf could play a roll in leaving more material (meat) than normal if using the kerf function.

Have you tried “Offset shapes” in the toolbar? You can precisely enlarge or reduce the size of an object.

I do use that, but sometimes the lines are fine, and I’d rather just cut a little further away from the cut line more into the “wasted” piece area, so hence the inquiry. :slight_smile:
Thanks,

Kerf just offsets the head from the tool path…

I guess you can use it for your purposes…

We really don’t know what you are doing, so it’s kind of hard to make any relevant suggestions other than it should do what kerf does…

How much kerf are you wanting/needing to apply?

:smile_cat:

If the “dashed line” in the attached picture is the “kerf” wouldn’t there be more material left behind than not using the kerft?

Thanks,

An Example

That’s pretty much the definition of what kerf adjustment does for a living, although the adjustment applies to the whole part or the entire layer. You can certainly scale the part down in size while making it “fatter”, at the cost of distorting its appearance.

In your example, if widening those narrow sections won’t make the design look odd, have at it!

You surely know about paper-backed veneer, where the backing helps hold fragile wood sections together. I’m experimenting with fusible interfacing (Mary uses it for her quilting appliques) applied to bare veneer sheets before cutting, as it seems more durable than paper.

2 Likes

Give it a try… be aware that sometimes you have things happen to the kerf…

Here is a trapezoid with 0.50mm kerf…

Notice the difference in the preview… it’s no longer a pointed end… keep that in mind…

Always use the preview… saves time/materials… :wink:

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like