Using nodes to adjust the length of several sections at once

I have the need to change the length of several sections at one time. I’m laboriously changing them one at a time and wondered if using nodes if there was a way to select several and input a length that they would all change to. Here is a picture of what I’m trying to do. It’s hard to tell from the screen shot but the bottom finger joints are slightly off in measurement. Taken over the full 10" of this project it becomes very noticeable - probably only 1/8 to 1/4 off but just enough to make it not workable.

and with the node tool turned on.

It would be nice if I could select the nodes that need to be lengthened and then apply a set length to them all. If it’s not available now, it would be a nice feature in the future. However, not being a programmer - just a crafter, maybe my thoughts on this are just a fantasy.

As you’ve found the ability to use numeric edits and alignment tools for nodes is not available, at least as far as I know.

Here’s what I would suggest in terms of a workflow to address this particular issue.

1. Instead of trying to fix the nodes for each tooth, discard all the bottom teeth and use the top teeth as a template to create the bottom teeth.
  2. Create a new rectangle where the top of the rectangle aligns to the top of each tooth, the bottom covers the lowest most portion of the teeth or more and the widths covers all teeth. Then select the rectangle and the base shape and do Tools->Boolean Union. This should leave you with a smooth outer line and no teeth.
  3. Create a duplicate of the top shape
  4. Align the duplicate of the top shape where the valley of the tooth aligns to the top of the bottom shape.
  5. Select bottom shape, then add top shape to selection, then Tools->Boolean Difference. That should leave you with perfectly formed teeth on the bottom shape.
  6. Profit

Hope that works for you. There may be other things going on in the design that make this impractical but was worth a shot.

1 Like

That’s s great idea. I appreciate your insights.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.