Using U Axis for Rotary

I have a Monport 100w CO2 with RDC6442G-B. When I use a rotary, I have to use the y axis and if I don’t remember to change the current settings on the stepper driver, it cooks the motor. I bought a stepper driver just for the rotary and tied it into the controllers available U axis. From the control panel, it works fine jogging and the motor does not get hot.

From lightburn, how can I use the U axis for rotary mode? When I open the rotary tab the in lightburn, it has choices for using Y, Z, or A. Z and A are grayed out and not selectable. I poked around in the machine settings screen, but didn’t find anything.

Anybody know how I can set this up?
Thanks

From what I understand U-axis on 6442G can only be used for bed feeder, not rotary. Apparently this is a limitation in the controller.

I have the 6442 also… I also have all the hardware, but still use the Y axes…

I keep meaning to give it a try and see what happens…

Is this documented somewhere? It seems when people ask about what controller to buy … it would be a good to know…

I normally ‘hot swap’ my Y with the rotary… so far so good …

This is from this thread, similar

:smile_cat:

From what I’ve seen U-axis is barely even mentioned in Ruida manual. I only saw this referenced in an old forum post.

I believe both 6445G and S can use U-axis for rotary. I saw something where LightObject commissioned or worked with Ruida to get that capability on the 6445G:
Update patch for Ruida R6445G. Enable a rotary to the 4th axis (U axis) : lasercutting (reddit.com)

I wish I’d known about the limitation of the 6442G before purchasing. I only saw that it was 4-axis. Didn’t realize U was reserved. I also don’t see any reason why Ruida couldn’t update the firmware to support this just as they did with the 6445G/S.

This is what I mean by a ‘good to know’ …

It could be many things, that model being phased out … or the 42 is an older model and they have moved on … If that’s the case, we’re lucky to have basic bug fixes, let alone any kind of ‘upgraded’ firmware …

It also might be the hardware won’t support it… dsp is kind of a different animal…

Whatever the issue, maybe we should contact LightObject and see if they have any suggestions… :thinking: I’d like to move mine to an unused axes but the results for a 42 owner seem rather dreary.

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.