Warranty invalid if using lightburn for Galvo

I recently had a light beam on my laser reflect back from the bed and burn some wires by the galvo laser and I was told it if was anything else the warranty would be invalid because I am using lightburn and not ezcad … seems bonkers to me and I told them they are probably best advised to change that policy or not get many sales to the west in the future.

1 Like

OMTech sells these packaged with Lightburn, so I’d be surprised if they actually tried to pedal that line… It doesn’t matter what software you are running…

Is this from OMTech or from one of their vendors?

I’d like a better explanation of how this could possibly happen…

There is no way I know of to do what you claim. Tough enough to get them focused and the power goes to nothing in a few mm of focus.

My experience so far is that’s virtually impossible to do…

It sounds more likely that too much current ran through them…

Is it still actually working?

:smile_cat:

I have a video of the incident – it is possible lol. By the way I am not talking about Omtech.I am talking about a supplier from Ali Baba.

The video shows my fiber laser wires burning …on further inspection only the outer bottom side of the wires where burnt and it became clear the beam had reflected back from item which was positioned under the wires and slightly behind the lense.

Well I can’t upload the video here but it is on Facebook in the laser masterclass group.

Video of fiber laser smoking

Was it focused on the work when this occurred?

How long is the lens?

I can’t access the video without joining facebook, which isn’t going to happen…

Can you put it in something like google drive and post the link here?

I still have a problem about how this could even possibly happen… it does look like it’s a reflection…

One of the issues with purchasing from ali baba is you pay your money and takes your chances, too risky for me… Did the vendor advertise it as Lightburn compatible?

In the end you have to deal with the vendor, right or wrong … unless you bought it with a credit card…

1 Like

Yes but you take your chances just as much buying via ebay or other sources especially when it comes to problems further down the line. Reviews are often left after purchase there is no way of knowing if a person has received good customer care 1 year down the line. Also bear in mind I paid $2700 for a JPT Mopa inclusive of shipping and tax to the UK, with 2 lenses and a rotary attachement. The same on ebay is probably £4000 or more and ALL of those places buy their machines from China.

About the reflection I was using a 175mm lens which was in focus it was working fine for hours and then I moved the location of the engrave item back from directly under the lens more toward the tower it was a little rectangle piece of steel. the video shows smoke coming from around the plug/wires near the lens and me quckly moving with the phone to switch the laser off. The video wont show to much tbh but with the picture of the bottom of the outside wire it becomes clear what happened.

Yes mine was more, but mine didn’t burn up something, however it happened, and have the vendor blame Lightburn to void your warranty… and virtually dump you…

I asked before, was this advertised as Lightburn compatible?

Did you put the video somewhere anyone can access it?

I’d like to see it, but not enough to deal with the Facebook site.

I bought mine from Cloud Ray… I’ve had little reason to contact them but the couple times I did they were quick to get back to me.

I have an MP60 JPT M7 MOPA… 4 lenses and a chuck rotary.

From what I’ve experienced I think you have another issue… don’t know what… I’d like a peek at the video…

I can’t imagine heating up anything at twice the focus distance… Even with mdf, which blows away the binding glue, there is no effect with my 160mm with it out of focus by about 5mm or more …

I don’t doubt it’s possible, I just have problems imagining it happening…

In any case, Lightburn has nothing to do with this… and you will probably have to deal with the vendor…

Good luck…

I will try and get the video uploaded somewhere and share

Let’s call it a miracle:) if to much current ran through the wires they would burn evenly from the inside. The burn marks where only on the underside and outside directly facing down to the bed. So a burn source must have come from outside from the direction of the bed.

For clarity, who was the vendor?

I totally follow what you are saying and agree with what we both see … it just doesn’t seem to match up to my experience with these things…

When you consider the focal length:
From the laser to the workpiece, then, for the laser to burn through wires in the laser head, it has to travel approx the same distance, thereby doubling the focal length.
At that distance Is the laser still powerful enough to actually burn anything.
Also, being a galvo head, the laser focal point moves rapidly across the workpiece which means that it would not (necessarily) be focused at one specific point for any meaningful duration. Would all this add up to the laser burning through the cables? I’m sure someone with a mathematical bent could give us a an exact answer.

I had my F100mm in there… it needs to be right on, about a mm really effects what kind of power reaches the material.

The longer the lens the more power or longer pulse width to get the same effect, although with my F420mm, it’s depth of field is about five or six mm…

My cables are actually about 1/3 to 1/2 the focus distance above the lens … so it would be 2.3 or 2.5 times the distance.

This is focused on the 40mm coin with the F160mm lens.

Computing this would be difficult for multiple reasons.

We’ll stick with 2 times distant…

1. % of reflected power from the material
  2. scan speed will double
  3. pulses/S will be cut in half
  4. angle of incidence to the material
  5. angle of incidence from the material.
  6. beam is annealing or engraving

These are just a few that I can think of off hand…

With AliBaba…good luck. They more than likely won’t do anything…they are in China and after they get the sale, the could careless. This has been my experience dealing with them.

1 Like

Not necessarily. If there was a kink, a previous kink, metal clamp, etc wires could burn at a localized spot.
BUT it sure looks like a laser burn. Reason I’m jumping in here, even out of focus the rubber/plastic/ vinyl/ whatever they make cables out of burn pretty easy with a laser, I had the opposite happen, wire snuck in the way just under the lens and burned pretty quick, which would be similar focus to beam going down and back up. Not impossible. It will burn through the lens cap I have heard!

Difficult to argue about what we all see… it just seems pretty unlikely from what I’ve seen… I know to be more observant.

From Amazon

@veselka did you hear from the vendor?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.