Water pressure sensor failure

I took delivery of a 130 watt laser just days before falling to Covid, but the last two days I have been able to get in and start initialization.

Today was water cooling from a 5002 chiller unit, so I went around all the joints between the piping and tube, fittings etc and supported each joint with a nyloc pull clamp.

Great, time to turn on the water, and Pop!!! Water everywhere in the main bed space and wall, floor. Imagine my joy :woozy_face:

I turned off the chiller, cleaned up and then went looking for the failure and in the images you will see the reason.

The really simple unit had a body, the big white piece, a screw insert, smaller white piece and then a diaphragm and 'O` ring. The diaphragm and ‘O’ ring are squeezed to a seal in the two body parts.

When water pressure is applied, the rubber diaphragm stretches and presses on the black looking metal contacts,

Circuit complete, the controller knows there’s water pressure. Or just wait for the pop!!! YOU CAN SEE THE HOLE!!

So please check your sensor.

I simply wired in the alarm contacts from the chiller and removed this unit. Works great. Hope this helps someone.

By the way there are many different sensors, almost all of better, safer more reliable design.

Carry on with the rest of the setup tomorrow, wish me luck

1 Like

It’s strange how someone could spend all that time designing a clever piece of equiptment then adding a piece of cheap rubber and plastic to finish it off… :thinking:
Good luck with the rest of the setup… :+1:

That’s interesting. I had a water pressure switch fail on my red&black last month. My switch looked quite different from yours and not nearly as cheesy but it still failed and leaked water all over. :rolleyes:

It’s worth mentioning that a pressure switch is really not the right tool for the job there…
If there is a blockage downstream of the switch (like a kinked hose) then the switch still sees pressure even though the flow is blocked. I replaced mine with a proper inline flow switch which I think is a better choice for that application.

My CW-5000 chiller uses this flow switch so you might try that out if you are handy with electrical circuits.

https://www.amazon.com/Cloudray-Water-Sensor-HL-30-Chiller/dp/B07M5RZ3ZH

Thanks Mike but I have used the sensitive and accurate one in my chiller. Then used the chiller alarm contacts to the 6445G to cause a stop if the water goes for any reason.
However this does look like a nice unit, and Hall effect :blush:. Nice. Thank you :blush:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.