What causes an uneven power distribution across the work surface?

Hi, my machine is a 60W red and black “OMTECH” chinese copy, with almost no upgrades or replacements performed.

When I’m burning across my work area, I notice that in a linear perspective, as my mirrors get further from each other the beam seems weaker…is this just divergence, and is there any way to mitigate this issue? I wonder if this could be solved by collimating the beam at some point throughout it’s travel from mirror two to mirror three? Or if the beam as it leaves my tube could be collimated down a few mm by getting a different tube?

If anyone has any suggestions I’m all for it.

If it’s noticable, it’s probably not good… What exactly do you notice that makes you come to this conclusion?

A laser requires three things to work…

1. Working tube
  2. Aligned and clean optics
  3. proper focus

If these three are present it will work…

I’d guess it isn’t properly aligned… from the three…

There is a loss of power the further from the tube, that’s physics… if you add optics in between you lose power there…

I’d bet on alignment.

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

I seriously thank you for that response. I’ll play around with alignment more and see if I get some positive results. The diameter of my beam is about 4.5 mm at it’s furthest extension…does that seem normal?

I also wonder if there is occlusion from the positioning of the laser head, that maybe the rail is ramping a small amount and causing another alignment issue there, but my feeble human eyes have trouble perceiving such a phenomenon, if it exists.

Sounds good… I think mine is larger :frowning:

If you are doing a proper alignment you would know about that … IMHO…

What alignment procedure do you use?

Here is a video by Sadler that shows a proper alignment technique and explains what’s happening, I think very clearly…

His machine might allow adjustments yours doesn’t, but the theory is a good foundation…

Cut yourself out some targets for alignment, makes life much easier. I cut mine out of watercolor paper… it’s hard to see, but it has ‘cross hairs’ in the center…

Good luck… sing out if you need to…

I typically use acrylic for alignment…and yea, all the people’s machines being a little different is why this issue persists…I’m not convinced it’s mirror alignment, but just not having a precise track for the laser head, and being it’s my first and only laser…it’s all a big experiment.

And don’t forget bed leveling. It’s one thing to have all the mirrors aligned… but there is still the matter of getting the beam onto the target. So make sure that the bed is also level.

1 Like

I think you missed my point.

If anything is off, gantry, frame, head … etc… it will show up, when you are unable to get it properly aligned …

This also shows up during an alignment as a change in focus at different bed positions …

If it’s noticeable during a run, it should be easily seen during alignment…

What process do you use to align the machine…?

Haven’t convince me yet… :face_with_spiral_eyes: