What do I get extra with C3D controller over Nano?

I have a home built 50W CO2 using a 3 axis eleksmaker Mana contoller running GBRL 1.1F. Cutting area is 1000mm x 650mm. I also have a rotary using the Z axis of the Mana so I don’t need to disconnect the Y axis. I would need to maintain this feature. I also have two Y motors and currently have modified the mana board with a driver for each motor,also a feature that I would like to keep so that I can keep max current for each motor, unless the C3D board can provide 2 amps to each motor. So…It’s not a production tool yet, but it might be one day. It works well enough, but I know there are speed limitations with the Nano 8bit processor. So what advantages, other than an increase in processing speed does the well recommended C3D controller give me? And what C3D controller is recommended? Is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks very much

David

The Cohesion3D LaserBoard has built in Trinamic stepper drivers for super smooth and quiet motor performance, native support for a Z Table and Rotary attachment, the ability to hook up a screen, and comes with a power supply included to power for the best performance. The included PSU is 24v so running a 12v diode laser module requires a bit more wiring work to use, I can direct you to resources for this.

32 bit at 120mhz means it is quite literally 6 times faster than the processor on your Arduino based controller.

For Dual Y you can slave 2 stepper drivers on the board by switching 3 jumper shunts.

I run Cohesion3D. The LaserBoard is the only controller that we sell.

Thanks for the reply Ray, sorry I haven’t replied before now, work has had me on a lot of planes recently!

For the dual Y axis I currently have 2 x Polulu drv8825 set to approx 1.5 amps each. Can the C3D run both motors at that sort of current? I have an extended frame X=1000, Y=650 so need more current than the original Eleksmaker required.

Cheers

David

The max current is 1.2 amps per driver, but this is RMS, not peak (translates to around 1.7 amps peak) and the German amps are more efficient than the American amps. You should be ok.

Sorry to jump into the thread…

Ray, what firmware are you running - Smoothieware or GRBL-LPC? And how are you finding high-speed engraving?

AFAIK there was an issue with buffering large engraving scans with Smoothieware at one stage, and I must admit I haven’t chased it up for a while, but I was going to use a C3D when I upgrade a K40 I bought as a test mule (openbuilds v-track, full sized bed, adjustable Z, LCD screen, new adjustable PSU, Reci W1).

I’ve got a bunch of different controllers I could use, but would like to use the C3D if I can.

Bo, have a look here:

I’m happy to answer any follow up questions.

I believe that that firmware fix was the last major thing we had to solve. You can just use our “cluster” firmware for everything now. Performance is solid.

1 Like

Ray, (and @LightBurn) you’re a star!

This will give me lots to play with.

Thanks for the update.

I had to laugh at “Similarly, a K40 will probably start to shake itself apart if you actually hit 400 mm/s.” :slight_smile:

I’ve got a bunch of K40s I used for teaching/makerspace use that I want to upgrade once my test mule is sorted, and this makes it very do-able.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.