What is the max Image size?

What is the max image size that LightBurn will handle. If I import an image that is 985k, I am able to work with it. If I import an image that is 3meg, the image will open. I can resize the image. But, when I try to use ‘Preview’, my system locks up. Is this an image size issue or a system issue?
What is the appropriate image size?

Consider the final size of your desired image as well as the resolution you require for the project. For example, you wish to have the equivalent of 200 dpi for the image and the final image in the project would be 5" x 7". This means you can have an image of 1000 pixels by 1400 pixels without deterioration. If your image is 3 megabytes, the resolution could be four to nine times the above reference example, requiring substantial processing within the program. If possible, resize prior to importing and save the gamble.

Imported 4 25(+)meg jpg image files into LightBurn 0.9.07 macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G8030) running on a MacBookPro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, w 15" display Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. I have pushed this to 10 files. :wink: Did start to see the spinning wheel a bit more as LightBurn wrote the auto-backup file.

What hardware are you running?

The image size on disk has very little to do with it, because JPEG and PNG are heavily compressed. The dimensions of the image (number of pixels wide, x number of pixels high) play a role, but ultimately the real measure is output width x output height x DPI.

If you try to do 1000 dpi, for example, that is 1000 x 1000 pixels (1 million dots) for each square inch of image. Each dot needs an X & Y coordinate and a power value, and if your image is, for example, 10 x 10 inches, that’s 100 of those 1 million dot squares - they add up. A 64 bit system should handle that without too much trouble, but the 32 bit version might struggle with the memory required to represent it.

Oz,
Thanks for the explanation… I am running a slow processor 64 bit system. Guess I need to lower image size or get a PC with a much faster processor…

Thanks
Skip…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.