What wire to buy?

I want to install a 3rd Stepper driver on the U axis for my rotary work.

I have the connector (came with the rotary) and will buy a suitable Stepper driver.

Just wondering what / where you buy the actual wire from ? any recommended size / type or just like 1mm electrical wire is ok?

This is the wire I purchased.

1 Like

You could just use 22ga stranded wire. I’d recommend getting a ferrule crimping kit so the wire ends don’t pull out of the terminals.

1 Like

Yea I’ve never had a wire pull out. Take a look at a video of the kit. Far better then a bare wire or a tinned wire.

If you’re going to throw aviation in there I’m going to have to disagree.

I’m guessing that wiring of spacecraft is an entire art form that engineers have refined over decades. I’m talking about buying inexpensive wire and solder and literally glopping it on with no control. I’ll go with the connector method that is also inexpensive but more consistent then my soldering. But do what works for you.
Didn’t expect this point to draw this much discussion. :grinning:

“Didn’t expect this point to draw this much discussion” Me either…And if you could all please stop hijacking my thread with an argument that would be great.
I really appreciate the advice on options for the connecting but was just after the wire specs which seems to be covered now.

Regards, LA

Sorry for the hijack. You will want stranded wire. I’ll go look in a bit to see if what I ordered is stranded. Stranded wire withstands the bending and vibrations better than solid core wire. Solid core just ends up breaking.

1 Like

I just confirmed it is stranded and it is also shielded.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.