What would be the best diode laser for a GRBL 1.1 version

Diode lasers do a much better job of engraving than cutting - the lower power means they tend to burn material instead of vaporize it. CO2 lasers tend to go the other way - you remove material in the process of darkening it, unless you put the machine out of focus.

I don’t know much about diode lasers, and anything you buy from EBay is likely to be hit or miss. J-Tech and OptLasers are the two I know the most about. They’re reputable and warrantied, but they’re also pricey. EBay has listings for things like, “20w diode laser” which technically doesn’t exist. You read the fine print and discover that they’re rating the power IN to the diode module, not the power coming out of it - shady as hell.

1 Like

Okay thanks :pray: that answers my question thanks again

That’s about all I can tell you. Do your research, perhaps pay a bit more and get something that works and has a support system behind it.

The J Tech lasers have more than one type of mount, some are magnetic and easy removable, some even mount on the router’s collet. Some mount to the side of the gantry. The actual laser module is not that big, and the driver can be mounted on a table to the side of the machine.

Good luck in your journey.

Thanks lol my mill head is only a 1inch and a half wide so I don’t think those lasers will fit, but again I’m still going to continue looking at them and see what the options are, I might just have to go with a lower watt if that means to get a good one, it’s just I would prefer a 7 Watt :joy: but I do plan on building a normal size CnC mill so I could get the 7 watt for it. But again thanks again for your help and support

Ok, not sure where you are based but you have various non chinese options, Endurance lasers in Russia, very good and work well, OPT Lasers in Poland, again very good and professional lasers
Jtech lasers again very good and finally L- Cheapo lasers made in the USA, The latter is probably the cheapest and you can get a 10 watt laser from them made in the US for just under 300 usd from here.

https://robots-everywhere.com/re_site_wp/industrial-automation/laser-cutter-accessory-for-3d-printers/

They do have a good following, the designer is well known , all the other lasers are also good but up to 3 times the cost of L-cheapos, if youre not sure just pop in a google and take a look.

Lasers above 7 watts tend to be clocked, ie over run , so when you see 15 watt lasers advertised they dont really exist, Normally I believe the maximum is 7 watts. L - Cheapo guarantee theirs for life and their plans are also free to download from their Wiki and you can make your own if you’re up to it but there are risks involved and it doesnt take much for you to fry the diode! While I like soldering I dont mind paying a little bit on top of the parts for someone else to have a meal or pay the mortgage especially if its non chinese. I have nothing against chinese lasers just I feel they flood the market and put small developers out of business which is why I purchased Lightburn. Its good and its a small developer who will make changes happen quickly if asked and possible.

There are probably others but those are the ones i know well, I know you can put your own 2.5 watt laser together for about 50 usd but it wont really do any cutting so I haven’t bothered with plans for that. L-cheapos wiki has plans for those as well but for the money I would go for the 10 watt and you can have a lot more fun with that. Also the guarantee makes sense…wont get that from ali express…

The L-Cheapo will work off 3d printers, it was originally designed for that and on his Wiki is lots of info, Endurance also bolt on to 3d printers.

The pus if fine for most of those lasers I have mentioned , if you have fried your board you will need to get a new, one, they are not expensive, depends what machines its for , Most people now tend to be on 1.1e or f .

Hope that helps. all the lasers above are grbl.

This is my older endurance laser, took about 15 seconds to burn this at half power.

Ok thanks, I don’t have a 3D printer, mine is a mini mill that can switch between a laser or spindle. I’ll definitely take a look thanks a ton!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.