White lines and overshoots

Hi everyone,
I am using a Ruida 6442s, 900x600 bed, unidirectional, when I try to engrave large files (40cmx60cm, 200DPI, greyscale BMP, 14.8mb) about 3cm in I start to get white lines and the laser starts to overshoot.
This happens both with USB and Ethernet connection.
If I put the RD file in a usb drive and transfer it directly to the machine’s memory this does not seem to be happening. Nor does it happen with smaller images.
Any tips?
Thank you.

Sounds like you determined the problem, that being streaming large files directly to your controller.

Instead of using START to stream large / complex jobs to the controller, use SEND. SEND transfers the file to the controller’s internal memory. You then run the job from the controller’s HMI.

I have been playing with the Norton Ceramic tile method the last day or two and was getting something not quite the same (no overruns), but perhaps needs to be looked at. Debris and dust at the nozzle.

The smaller images were fine as it didn’t have enough time to build up, but the larger ones were getting lines and blank spots. The issue was the nozzle was growing a beard and getting in the way of the beam. I found I could run air assist and it was as good or better in most cases and kept that from happening. (100w Ruida)

I use the send method as noted because I am using a wireless repeater in the garage to connect to the machine. I get a lot of transfer fails and have to retry several times even though the repeater is only about 20ft away from the base. I have noticed that failed transfers do leave partial files on the machine. The network handshaking code in the controller must be very VERY basic and does no checks or validation.

Sooooo since it will save a partial file, it might as well get buffer overruns and miss sections of the file, but I would think you would see that as being very random issues through out the image. Is that the case you are seeing?

Ruida uses UDP, and there are no retries - if a packet is dropped, that’s it - it fails. If you connect with an actual cable, transmit errors are very rare.

Thank you all for your input. It’s slightly annoying, because the machine memory is only 100mb, but transferring the jobs seems to be the only workable solution.
I am using an actual cable though (ethernet) so I don’t understand why sending from pc isn’t working…

Are you using Start or Send ?

Start transfers the job and begins engraving before the transfer is complete, which can overload the controller’s processor if the job is run at high speed, high DPI, or both.

Send just sends the file to the controller, and then you start it yourself after the transfer is complete. This is more reliable for complex jobs because it only requires the controller to do one thing at a time.