Windows 10 or Linux Faster For Photo Engraving?

That’s what’s great about his. Everybody dumping how they did it. Unfortunately my grbl machine is boxed up while we look for another home. So all of this is from memory with no parity code for corrections :slight_smile: Generally I use it to make PCBs, it currently has a 500 watt spindle on it. I have a 30 watt SS diode laser that I mount on it sometimes, but I have to change out the Z motor mount to fit the laser to it. I think it was the cause of this (my) addiction. lol…

I have the big machine (CO2) in the garage and have been using it for a few months now. They are all great machines and lots of fun associated with a steep (if not an overhang) learning curve. :smiley_cat:

Take care. :slight_smile:

Hi Jack thanks so much for all your help. I am currently putting the whole laser and enclosure back together. Everything is working great except the problem of printing photos. The Maker Store has suggested that it could be the Arduino Uno not being able to stream the dpi i was using and suggested dropping back the dpi. I had it set to roughly 300 dpi and they suggest i try at 96 dpi. I think i already tried this but will try again. I want good images not low res ones. If necessary i will look for another controller that can do what i want it to do. When i move from where i am the next step will be a co2 laser. I could modify what i have but each type of laser can be used for slightly different purposes so would be nice to have both. I live in a small flat and have built and will run the laser in my living room! Will ventilate out of the window!

Bruce… Have you watched any of Russ Sadlers videos? He’s an engineer (also a bit britsh) :slight_smile: but he applies the math to show you how to get the best results. This one’s on Lab 115 The Russ Formula for Photo Engraving you will find it interesting I’m sure. I and many others have learned a great deal from Russ’ videos. Stick through the dry humor.

Maybe he’ll give you an up on your engraving.

Take care… :slight_smile:

Hi Jack thanks for the video link and i am currently watching. He knows his stuff very well. I wanted to tell you that i spent all day putting my laser back together and finally i got it to work with an image. In testing on cardboard i selected an image of a dragon, not really much shading but an image none the less. After lOTS of tests and different settings i changed the DPI from 300 to 96, changed the speed to 400mm per minute, 25% power for laser, 35mm from z table and used Jarvis to engrave it. The machine ran faultlessly after all my testing. Took about an hour, one of these days i will get a co2 laser.
Thanks again for all your help
Bruce

I have Russ’ lightweight head on my China blue. I use the compound lens setup for engraving. I’m just learning also, but his videos are worth watching.

Glad you have some results. Take care, have fun…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.