Windows 11 Text Alignment in Size Boxes

I’ve read about people having issues with the tool bar sizing (which I also have) with Windows 11, but another issue I’m having is the values in the sizing boxes seem to align to the right instead of left. So you always are looking at the decimals which I personally think is backwards; I would rather have it align at the left. Anyone else notice this?

For example, in this screen capture it appears at first glance as though this object is 79mm x 37mm in width and height respectively, but in actuality it is 179mm x 237mm. I have to actually click into the box and arrow over to see the correct size.

I don’t have this problem in W11. Have you increased the font size in Settings? I’m guessing your font size is larger than the allotted size of those fields.

Increased font size definitely makes the issue worse, but it doesn’t change the text alignment. Even with a smaller font size it can be an issue if I get to something that is 1000+mm. Both the font size and the toolbar size seem to be issues ever since I “upgraded” to Windows 11. Lightburn isn’t the only program I have experiencing this, QGIS is another program with the same problems.

I’ve done some experimenting with it. I think it is actually left aligned. Notice the whitespace to the right of the last 0.

I think with overflow it’s being cropped from the left rather than the right. So not sure if that would be a different concept from text alignment itself.

I can get to 4 digits left of the decimal without issue at size 18 font. I’m at 2240x1400 resolution with 150% scale.

Clipping overflow from the right would also be annoying but probably less harmful.

I have not noticed a difference in behavior from W10 or W11 with regard to this but I didn’t use LightBurn on W10 much. Are you on the same hardware between upgrades?

I did some more testing on mine and found that so long as I stay at size 13 font or less it seems to be left aligned. If my font size is set to 14 or higher, then it seems like it is right aligned. Very strange! Seems like using a smaller font is my fix for now when I’m docked at least. I’m running two identical 16:10 ratio displays at 1920x1200 resolution with 100% scale.

When I’m not docked though this “fix” won’t work. Undocking my laptop I’m at 3840x2400 resolution and 250% scale. It seems that my alignment still remains left at 13 size font or less, and switches to right at 14 or more. At size 14 font with this resolution and scale you nearly need a magnifying glass to ready the text though…

That’s unworkable undocked. LightBurn has a number of issues with high resolution scaling I’ve noticed.

You may want to consider forcing system scaling. It may not look as sharp but it should at least be readable.

I posted about this in a different topic:

1 Like

I think the lower resolution is acceptable, and would definitely be worth it to be able to switch between docked/undocked without issues. One problem… I don’t appear to have the “Compatibility” tab you have in the program properties. Maybe this changed in W11 also??? Really appreciate all your help/input by the way!

Looks like the compatibility tab is disabled for you. I’m running W11 Pro so not sure if that makes a difference on that.

You should be able to enable the tab with a registry setting.

Add or Remove Compatibility Tab on Properties Page in Windows | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

Turns out my registry settings were correct, what I was doing wrong was that I didn’t select the program by left clicking once prior to right clicking to opening the properties window. If the program isn’t selected/highlighted first, you will get a different properties window for it. While the resolution is noticeably worse, the menu and text is workable so I’m counting this as a win for now! Thanks for your help! Hopefully in the future Lightburn developers can make the program a little more friendly with different resolution displays.

Not sure that it matters, but in case someone comes across this in the future I have W11 Pro also. I don’t know if W11 Home behaves the same or has the compatibility feature.

Awesome. Yeah, the compromise is not ideal but at least it’s workable. Glad I could help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.