xTool D1 Pro: Home only jogs the laser to X=0, does nothing to Y-axis

Hi all, I’m a new user to lasers and lightburn.

After performing one successful calibration grid, every time I try to use my D1 Pro the following behaviour occurs:

1. Pressing Home will cause the laser head to move to the far left, but there will be no movement on the Y-axis.

2. Manually moving the head position and asking it to Frame will work up until the the end of the third line of the framing box (moving from right to left). Regardless of where the laser head is in space, when it reaches this position, it will sound an alarm and declare a limit switch error.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Inspecting further, the limit alarm triggers whenever the Y axis is asked to move upward from any position (which on the D1 Pro corresponds to a negative Y axis move).

I used xTool Creative Studio to disable the limit switches, and that allows the laser head to move freely, but I bought this model because of it’s ability to home precisely. Has anyone encountered this before?

1 Like

hoping that you can get an answer on this as I have the same issue! I also did have to disable my limit switches. I want to burn a spoil board but seems there is no point if I do not have a HOME for the machine.

I have submitted a support ticket to xTool as well, will update this post if I hear back from them :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is an interesting and unusual problem.

If you unplug the X-limit switch does it also create the error? The favored design of limit switches is often Normally Closed. Unplugging them (or breaking a wire) makes the switch seem open to the controller. A loose or partially broken limit switch wire can be direction or motion sensitive in the way you describe.

May I ask which xTool Firmware version you are using and if your engraver is the ‘Pro’ model?

If you capture the initial connection message, It should give both pieces of information. You are welcome to copy and paste them into a reply here.

The only other thought I had was related to another manufacturer had static electricity infiltration through limit switches. This caused false switch events and unusual power supply brown-outs. Is the Y limit switch on the gantry or is it on the square frame part of the chassis?

Thanks JohnJohn!
I had a gander around my switch, and noticed a little wiggle on one of the sensors. Unplugged it and took it off, and hey presto there’s two broken connections to the component.
For the record, this is the negative-Y limit switch sensor, so it lines up with my problem exactly - the positive-Y switch was firmly connected to the board with no trouble.

@Kbodle, curious to know if this is the same issue with you?