xTool RA2 Pro - ruida

Has anyone tried the xTool RA2 Pro with a Ruida controller and a dm542t style stepper driver? I’ve got an omtech CO2 machine and this looks like a nice rotatory tool. I’m willing to make a custom cable if it’s possible to get this type of system working.

Or would it just make more sense to get one of the ebay rotatory tools marketed for the omtech style machines?

1 Like

I believe my China Blue motors run on a 24V supply…

If yours is 12V, the motor driver you have has a minimum voltage of 18V. You can’t use that motor driver…

DM542T_V4.0.pdf.txt (861.3 KB) - remove the .txt extension… it’s a pdf.

You can measure the size of the motor, they are NEMA specification. A NEMA 17 is 1.7 inches on a side…

Data-Sheet-Stepper-Motor-Support.pdf.txt (839.0 KB)

If you do have 24V system, then it should work and we can guide you through that…

I would think it should work if the voltages are the same…

Make sense?

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Hi Chris, I’m curious, did you get something working here?

I haven’t tried yet. But I’m considering going with the basic chuck rotatory from omtech that I can find on ebay. I think it will do what I need and I won’t need to fiddle to much with the electronics.

Good idea, I thought you might be interested that another member here @Magier7 did manage to get the xTool RA2 rotary working with a Ruida controller but I’m not sure exactly what the details were for the stepper driver that was used and it’s settings, you could try to message Stefan for details.

even if the rotary is still just a stepper motor that has to be controlled by lightburn
for this you need the firmware v15.01.30
I installed this firmware via RDWorks

I wrote back and forth with the support a few times, also with developers who currently state that a change in lightburn is planned
But you are welcome to vote so that the change may occur more quickly

I also had a lot of emails with a certain one
Cheers, LightBurn Software Support
Written to somehow get my rotary to work in a roundabout way

I’m trying to understand what those links are telling me. I’ve got a kt332n that has a U axis. I connected a separate driver for the rotatory to the U axis and enabled the U axis in the settings but I can’t tell that it does anything even just trying to use it from the controller.

There’s also the issue that Lightburn has an option in the rotary setup to select the U axis but it’s grayed out. I’m guessing that would be different if I updated the firmware on the controller?

kt332n?
my board is an RDC6445G I don’t even know the name of my driver for my axles
I could do the rotary with
manual
move

here was the question for me
if i can move a motor by hand why shouldn’t that be possible this should also be possible automatically during the lasering i only got the answer that for ruida the u axis was intended as a feed which didn’t really answer my question because for me it is a motor well a motor and the controller or the software because the motor runs what the controller can’t do has to be done by the software because for me the software is just another form of controller
First I did the firmware update, then I changed the rotary to Y in rdworks

after that, the rotary moved at least once somehow during the lasering

I ended up giving up on the U axis. I’ve got the rotary working on it’s own driver but I can’t tell how to make lightburn use it.

I may keep playing with it but for now I’ve got 2 Position 3PDT 9 Terminal ON/ON rocker switch on order. I’ll wire that into the control lines and that should make it easier to switch between rotary and gantry modes.

Now if I can only get lightburn to stop warning me that the framing operation exceeds the bounds of the device.

maybe there will be support for the rotary in the next update

Plug it into the Y axes and Lightburn should control it…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.