150w power supply can work with 100w tube?

Nice idea the clear acrylic sample. Are you able to share the vector??

You are so right. Every time happens the wrong time!!! LOL. I will try to make this curve according to the video you sent me

His template is meter specific.

I have Russā€™ Dohicky, and love it. I have a Harbor Freight digital meter to my mA measurements. That same meter can do the temp measurements, but I like the meter that Russ used as it has a HI memory. Iā€™m not so good at watching two meters at the same time to catch their max values. When I put my analog mA meter in, I added a pair of binding posts left over from an old project in series with the analog meter. In normal operations there is a short jumper in between them. When I do testing I pull the jumper and hook the digital in. Itā€™s only once a year, but better than disassembly and re-assembly every year.

What is this??
I am confused now!

I believe he shows it in that #53 video. Basically itā€™s a digital version of a mechanical Calorimeter. You insert the K type sensor and secure it. Then itā€™s put in the beam path for the duration of the test pattern. For me, the digital over a small mechanical dial is a no brainer, the HI memory of that meter is the icing on the cake. I have a picture of the meter and Dohicky on my Google Mod Page if you want to take a quick look.

Here is a link to both of the videos by Russ.

This is the first video

This is an updateā€¦

If you donā€™t know who he is you should watch a sample of the 200+ videos heā€™s made on lasers. Heā€™s a retired engineer, lives in the UKā€¦ I have a conversion of his on my machineā€¦ hereā€™s a before and afterā€¦ of my machineā€¦

Hereā€™s a link to his youtube channelā€¦

Have funā€¦

:smile_cat:

It should be noted that the dohickey should be placed in the laser beam WITHOUT being focussed, The black anodized surface will absorb the laser energy but a focussed beam will burn off the anodized surface. I built a similar on using a digital kitchen thermometer and a part of a computer heat sink.

Man Fred, that must have been fun to calibrate. More than I would want to try.

I did try the Dohicky with my Harbor Freight meter, but was not getting consistent results watching two meters at once. Switched to the meter he uses and never looked back. There are probably other meters out there that have a HI memory, but I didnā€™t feel the need to duplicate the research, and it wasnā€™t that expensive a meter to really worry about it.

You guys are so advanced laser users! I am newbie and all this info is fantastic amd helpful but confusing also! :grimacing:

It has been a couple of years since I did this, at the time I was measuring pretty consistently 29watts at 15Ma. For a 3 year old k40 I figure pretty accurate as the original tubes are notoriously under powered, so if it started at around 30 to 35 watts, 29 is a reasonable power level now. I may just check it again to see how it is holding up.

One more question about the Lightburn camera. Is there any chance that it covers 140cm X 90 cm (55"x35") working area? If yes which one?

Did you know there is selection help in ā€œHelp ā†’ Camera Selection Helpā€ā€¦

Unfortunately no. I am new here. I will take a look. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

Would you mind sharing this files to drill for my mA gauge?

Itā€™s in/on post 20ā€¦

These vary, but this has fit every one Iā€™ve purchased from Amazon and Ebayā€¦

It you do the first type of cutout, then the meter should fit properly in that cutout.

Good luck

Thanks. By the way, what is the voltage meter used for?

Iā€™ve kept my eye on the lps output voltage for a while now. Iā€™m used to having instruments that I can see whatā€™s going onā€¦

At this point, I canā€™t tell you if itā€™s a benefit or not. I havenā€™t seen or had any issues that involve the lps, yet.

Hoping I will see a change in ā€˜normalā€™ operation before it just rolls over dead or I start having engraving/cutting issues.

Lots of people run these machines without any meters of any kindā€¦ A mA meter gives you an idication of how itā€™s workingā€¦ Iā€™m used to voltage/current readings all the time. I donā€™t know anyone else that does thisā€¦ it involves dealing with splicing into the anode (hv) side of the tube/lps.

This is a link, itā€™s older, of how I built it. There are some discussions there about itā€¦ That resistor stack failed and I have another variation thatā€™s replaced itā€¦ I should go over there and update itā€¦

Thanks for the info. when you say lps you mean the power supply?

Laser Power Supply (LPS) this is the high voltage dc supply that excites the tube for it to laseā€¦

There is also a power supply for the other hardware, usually 24V but it could a range of voltagesā€¦ Using ā€˜power supplyā€™ makes us wonder which one you mean. When there are at least two, maybe more, isnā€™t very specific if you talk technical.

Got it!
:+1: