2 layers, how to remove the overlapped portion

Can anyone tell me how I can remove part of the black layer only where it is covered by the blue layer? I want to burn different depths for the different colors but can’t figure out how to do it without the full G burning. I’ve tried cut shapes and the other boolean stuff but can’t get it work

“Can’t get it to work” doesn’t tell us much about what you have done, exactly and what result you got vs what you expected to happen. The details matter for us to help your workflow.

We need to know, are these bitmap/raster images or vector paths, or maybe a combination of both?

If vector art, you can do this using either of the ‘Cut Shapes’ or the ‘Boolean Operators’ to accomplish the desired result. Here is a link to our documentation on this topic to help in review: Redirecting...

If using raster images, have a look at a recent addition - ‘Apply Mask to Image’ under the ‘Tools’ menu to help “clip out” the sections you’d like. Here is a link to our documentation on this topic to help in review: Image Masking - LightBurn Software Documentation

If using a combination of source art types, you will need sort using multiple tools.

If you can be more specific, letting us know what types of art you are using, and where in the process you are having difficulties, we may be able to provide some suggestions beyond pointing to the documentation. :slight_smile:

Using the boolean and other tools is difficult in ‘Filled Rendering’ mode because you can’t really tell if they worked or not, and this is one of several reasons we tell people to try to get used to using ‘outline’ mode instead of ‘filled’.

The boolean tools will do exactly what you’re looking for, but as Rick says, we’d need more specifics from you to know where it went wrong or why it’s not working. Saying “I can’t get my car to work” is a lot different than saying, “my car fell out of an airplane, and now I can’t get it to work.” One of those statements includes some crucial details. :slight_smile:

I get it, guys. I was hoping there was an obvious solution that i was overlooking. I got lazy and didn’t want to type a bunch of details or pictures. I’ll play around more and reply with more detail if I don’t figure it out. Thanks!

If you point the mouse at the boolean buttons and press ‘F1’ it will take you to the help for them, and there’s a video link there too.

The most common problems are shapes that aren’t closed, or just not understanding how the different tools work. The tutorial / docs will help with the latter at least.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.