2018 MacBook Pro to Gweike Cloud

Hi folks, new on here and to Lasercutting/engraving. Invested (hopefully) in a Gweike Cloud which uses the Ruida Controller. I have attempted to connect it to my MacBook Pro using both supplied usb with a thunderbolt connector, a dedicated thunderbolt to usb data cable and 2 different Ethernet cables. However the machine is not being registered as attempting to connect or recognised. I have attempted to set up the connection manually ie Ruida, USB, 510x300, with both means of connection but it still comes up as not connected. The engineers are now saying they need to test IOS with Lightburn and a machine…
I do not have access to a pc to try it from a windows platform. The machine will run from the Gweike cloud online app.
Is there a known issue with thunderbolt and Ruida/Lightburn and more importantly is there a fix please? :slight_smile:
Thankyou

Omar

Hello Omar,
if it helps I could give it a try on my Macbook 12 inch with USB-C connection. I’m using Gweike Cloud machine with my old iMac 21,5 inch without any troubles since a week or two - still in a learning curve…
Regards from Austria!
Tom

1 Like

Thankyou sir

Can you let us know now which ruida control it is? What version of MacOS are you on. Many people are running from thunderbolt to ethernet adapters here so that’s not likely the issue.

1 Like

Hi there and thanks for getting back to me. I’m running monterey 12.01, I have tried to connect with 3rd party thunderbolt ethernet adapter and thunderbolt usb connectors. I have official Apple ones being delivered today in case that is the issue but I doubt it.

well found out there is no official apple usb c thunderbolt 3 to Ethernet adapter. I have got the official apple thunderbolt to usb A one now (£16 for a usb plug) but it still does not register with the Gweike Cloud machine. Engineers have not got back to me with what sort of Ruida Control it is either!

Welcome and thank you for posting. We are just learning about the motion control system used in the laser. Speaking via their chat, I learned that they are using a Ruida 6640y control system, which I have had little success finding details about this controller. While chatting, I was offered the following:

Our engineers will guide the installation of the machine by video throughout the whole process and will provide the installation package. Please don’t worry.

I mention, as I am wondering if you have taken advantage of this offer, and work directly with their post-sale support folks? They should be able to get you set up properly or, at a minimum, help with the diagnostic process and identifying where the issues may be. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Rick and yes I am attempting to work with their engineers who just told me it was a Ruida 644g however as I type she updated it to the one you sent. However she also sent me a video she said was her connecting using a Mac which showed it was a Ruida 644xg? They have previously admitted they had not tested it with a MacBook Pro
I have been in contact with someone else with a Gweike Cloud, using through a pc and it comes up as Ruida 644xg……

I really think the issue is with the actual usb/Ethernet board. My Mac is happily connecting to my Mitsubishi sub printer, loupe deck and various hard drives. I have used the official Apple thunderbolt 3 to usb a adapter as well as 2 other usb a to thunderbolt 3 cables and 3 different Ethernet cables and there is not a flicker of connection/recognition.

Further info, just attempted with 2011 MacBook Air with usb connection. Nothing

Hey Omar,
I use a mac mini with my laser through the ethernet connection. I found an article that explained how to do it. I was able to get it up and running. This worked for me and might be useful to you.

https://www.hagensieker.com/wordpress/2021/09/07/lightburn-usb-issues-on-mac-os-x/

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.