3D sliced image engraving on GRBL galvo laser (LaserPecker 4)

I would like to use the 3D sliced function in LightBurn with my LaserPecker 4, but as stated here 3d Sliced function not found it is only available for galvo lasers. The LaserPecker 4 is a galvo laser.

Is there a way to be able to enable 3D sliced option?

I can’t tell you details but I can tell you why I think it’s not available…

It’s a grbl machine, that might be part of it…

I also don’t think it’s related to being a galvo or not… to my knowledge the co2 galvo doesn’t have it either.

You lasers isn’t going to go very deep, even with 256 passes.

This is 256 passes at 30% power on my fiber…

I think 3dslice was directed at fiber lasers only…

https://forum.lightburnsoftware.com/t/why-not-3d-sliced-for-regular-diode/101423/10

How do you like that machine?
:smile_cat:

The LaserPecker 4 is capable of cutting through aluminum soda can with the 2W pulsed 1064nm laser. With 25 passes it can cut through 0.1mm of aluminium. So it should also be able to engrave 3D sliced images. As it is a galvo laser, with both diode 450nm and 1064nm it would be nice to be able to at least try the 3D slice feature in LightBurn. I think more and more hybrid galvo lasers will come to the market with even stronger 1064nm lasers. So eventually more people will ask for it.

To implement the already existing 3D slice feature to other lasers than just fiber, wouldn’t be that hard, would it?

That’s part of the issue… I don’t know how the 3dslice function works in concert with the rest of Lightburn.

In the link I posted, Oz advised that fiber lasers work differently, the purpose of the 3dslice option.

As far as I know, being a galvo has nothing to do with it… it’s the lasers’ source… Don’t get sidetracked because it’s a galvo… Co2 galvo lasers can’t make use of it either. The way the laser is moved is irrelevant to why/how the 3dslice function was implemented. It should work on a gantry fiber laser… where there is no galvo. The only thing the laserpecker has in common with a fiber is the lasers operating frequency.

I think Lightburn would have to answer your question. You have far passed my knowledge of the innards of Lightburn… even I may have made assumptions…

Maybe @JohnJohn can give you a more satisfying explanation of why it’s not there for the laserpecker…

I understand your argument, from the actual operating at that frequency… so I’m curious if there is more involved…

I posted this asking about the laserpecker 4 in May of this year, but no one responded… Maybe that will change.

Hang in there…

The link is not working or private, I can’t open it

I am still waiting. Expect to be delivered this week😬

Sorry about that… it’s in the galvo beta section… I’ve copied his post…

Diodes have extremely good power linearity, and you’re generally just engraving wood or plastic, so use ‘Grayscale’ mode - that’s what it’s for.

Grayscale mode does not work well for deep, consistent metal removal for galvos, so 3D slice was added for those machines. It was not “removed” for diodes and CO2 systems, as they already have the grayscale mode to accomplish this.

Good luck… let us know…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.