3D Sliced Image Galvo Engraving - Cleaning Between Passes?

Is there any way to clean between passes when engraving a 3D sliced image?

It works great with aluminum but stainless tends to leave a lot of material behind that needs to be cleaned between layers/passes, there doesn’t seem to be a way to clean between “depth layers” in the 3D sliced etching mode.

You can use Sub-Layers to do this, whereby you set a sub-layer with your engrave settings, and another with your clean up ones, and alternate copies of them.

That approach works with anything besides images, when you select image (any type) for processing it removes the sub-layer options.

Ah! I’m sorry, I misunderstood, my bad. I’ll ask our devs!

No worries, thanks for the quick reply. If this isn’t implemented something like a sub-layer interface on image processing would work just fine. Could probably do “every X layers, do Y operation” that way it would scale proportionally to image layer “depth”.

I’ve had confirmation that we haven’t got this kind of function as yet. Oz (our owner/founder) has always done the finishing pass last and not had an issue, he recommends pointing air at it while running, so the metal dust doesn’t fuse back onto the coin.

Thanks for checking back - I think usually people are using brass/aluminum so the stickiness is more limited, stainless is pretty grabby with the sparks coming off. We have an industrial dust collector drawing around 9m/s on a 4" exhaust duct as close as I can get it. I can see all the particulate getting sucked up, short of compressed air shooting across I don’t think we’re going to get any better “chip” removal.

Consider this feature our reason to renew our license now that we’re out of the free updates window :wink:

Thank you!

Hehe! :wink:

May I get to add your idea to our suggestions site? It’s the best way to keep track of requests like these. :slight_smile:

Done - thank you: Sub-layer Operations for Image Engraving · LightBurn

1 Like

Lovely, I gave it an upvote. :blush:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.