60w Blue/gray OMTech Laser not responding

Hello all, I have had my 60w OMTech Laser for about a month without any issues until recently. I was cutting some Monograms for Gifts without any problems, I completed 4 of them and next I was attempting to engrave a door mat. I was able to frame the work area and the Laser returned to it’s origin, I then clicked Home and the Laser went a little crazy. It moved catycorner to it’s home position and started banging against the front of the machine for a second or 2 and then moved back to it’s home position and was banging against the back of the machine for a few seconds. Now it does not respond to any commands. So I shut the Laser down and restarted it and now it will frame the project and return home but, will not move from the home position. This all happened in the same day. ( the laser was never turned off except after the problem started ). I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and have been runnig the laser with no problems.

Thank you for any help!

Welcome aboard John…

It’s always a good idea to do a good electro/mechanical examination of the machine. Loose wires are great for causing intermittent/strange operation.

You can press the ‘esc’ key to cancel the boot process.

We’ll leave the pc out of the loop for a few, but are you connected via USB or Ethernet?

These are controller questions.

The controller sounds like it’s going through the boot process properly…

You’ve seen it boot before, does it replicate that exactly?

What is displayed on the screen after the boot?

Do all coordinates have the proper value?
Generally all controllable axes are 0 and z is max, like 3000…

Can you move the head from the control panel?

:smiley_cat:

Hello Jack,
Thanks for the welcome and the quick response.The controller sounds like it’s going through the boot process properly…

You’ve seen it boot before, does it replicate that exactly? Yes it does

What is displayed on the screen after the boot? Temp File, Speed 255 mm/s, Max power 30%

Do all coordinates have the proper value? Yes
Generally all controllable axes are 0 and z is max, like 3000…

Can you move the head from the control panel? Yes I can

Does the file get to the Ruida properly?

When you attempt to run it, does it display any errors?

When I send the file to the Ruida I do not get any errors, but, When I click the start button the Ruida displays NO ENOUGH EXTEND SPACE

What’s happening is called ‘overscan’, it’s adjustable in grbl, but DSP controllers have all the code and figure it out automatically.

Say you want the head to go 100mm/s and the image is up against the side of your workspace.

The head cannot speed up to 100mm/s in zero distance, consequently it couldn’t slow down either.

That generates that error…

Move your design or make the size smaller to fit the area. If you have a 5050 work area, you cannot scan full area, some of it will be used to speed up and slow down. You can slow the speed down and that will reduce overscan.

What is your ‘start from’ and ‘job origin’?

How large is the needed area?

You nailed it Jack. That was exactly my problem, I was not giving the laser head enough travel on the X axis… Thank you very much for all your help.

No perspiration… Have fun.

Might want to mark this solved…

Take care

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.