90° camera not focusing

And this is the same issue I have emailed about…

1 Like

I’m sending both of you 120 degree cameras as soon as stock arrives (it should’ve been here Monday, but customs, tariffs, and the holiday have conspired to delay it).

2 Likes

OZ… thanks so much!

OZ, Yes, Thank you!!!

Is the issue with the lens or the camera? I have the 90 degree lens and am having identical symptoms to TateR. If switching to the 120 degree lens fixes it, would it be possible to buy one?

Have you focused the camera? It’s manual focus, and has a small focus ring on the front. If you un-dock the camera window and stretch it out, you can use that view (or just any other camera software on your computer) to see the full image while focusing.

Do that first, as usually that’s the issue. In some cases, the camera is too far from a large bed, and the narrower field of view cameras don’t focus well at long distances. We’re looking into other options from our camera supplier.

Is there a trick to manually focusing? My Lightburn camera has a dab of what looks like hot glue at the joint with the threads and doesn’t seem to want to rotate. I’m hesitant to force it for fear of snapping off the barrel.

You can carefully remove that dab of glue to then you will be able to turn the focus ring gently. Have a look at this.

Mike, out of curiosity, approximately when did you get your LB cam - a week ago, 6 months ago…?

I have spent quite some time tinkering with the camera and focusing it. The camera is 25 inches(635mm) away from the bed. I’m assuming the issue is the distance. By chance do you have a time frame for when you will have lenses? or could you point me towards a 3rd party that has a lens that will fit? I sucks to have the camera unusable.

Hi Ray,

I’ll have to admit that I got it quite a while ago, I think when it was first offered. My email says it was delivered on 1/17/2019. Just getting around to setting it up now for use with a Win 10 notebook.

Hi Rick,

I tried removing or loosening the glue with a sharp-ponted Xacto blade but didn’t have much luck. Maybe It sounds like I just need to twist harder or do a better job with the knife tip.

I’ve been accused of having a monkey grip and am always concerned with going at something too hard. :slight_smile: It can be a little stubborn. Holding the base of the lens holder (not the board) is key, but with a gentle touch, the ring will turn and allow you to focus the lens.

I’ll try more force - just a little gunshy about snapping the barrel in two. No pain, no gain.

As long as you’re holding the plastic sensor housing when you twist the lens, it should be ok. We’ve since gotten the manufacturer to leave the glue dots off, which makes this less harrowing.

Mike, that’s why I asked when you got your camera. Best of luck with the adventure :slight_smile:

Oz & Ray - forewarned is forearmed so I’ll be careful to firmly grip the housing. I may need a different camera anyway with a smaller angle so may end up with a new one and so avoid the issue.

I was able to adjust the focus however I am wondering if it should be sharper? I cant get it any better. Would the 120 lens be better?

Try reducing the amount of light - That might help, as it looks a bit blown out. You can also try this:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.