A axis settings for rotary

Where are the A axis settings for setting up to use a rotary with GRBL? I found a video on youtube showing how to do the calculations but I can’t find the screen that shows where to input the calculations? The video shows there is a rotary setting for the A axis in the machine settings, but I don’t see it. Any ideas??

Have you gone through Tools->Rotary Setup already or is that what you’re looking for?

1 Like

If you don’t see A-axis settings it likely means that the version of GRBL you have doesn’t include them and won’t drive the 4th axis. If you type $$ in the console and press enter, do you see settings for $103, $113, $123, and $133 in the output? If yours only show $102, $112, $122, and $132, you have a 3-axis version of GRBL.

Does this mean he cannot use the Y axes output?

His machine description isn’t very clear.

:smiley_cat:

This is what I’m trying to find, this comes from LightBurn documentation:
(The steps per degree number, along with acceleration and maximum speed will need to be set in the appropriate location for the controller. For GRBL, it can be accessed in Edit > Machine Settings in LightBurn, under vendor settings for the A Axis.)
I don’t see the vendor settings for A Axis.

Yep, I don’t see the settings for those in my output.

My CNC is home built. I’m running GRBL on an Arduino. I tried using the Y Axis output, and it seems to work, except it doesn’t burn at the start and end of the Z Axis travel. So thats why I was trying to use the A Axis output.

Will LightBurn work with a rotary with the Y Axis when using GRBL?

Yes - you just have to tune the mm/roatation value to get the output scale correct, but it should work.

Can you tell me where I go to tune the mm/rotation, is it in Edit-Machine Settings? I’m sorry, but I’m confused. When I go to Documentation/RotarySetup.md at master · LightBurnSoftware/Documentation · GitHub
I think it’s telling me to use the A Axis, but I don’t have a 5 axis machine. When I go to Tools-Rotary Setup, I can adjust the mm per rotation to get one revolution, but when I try to burn something both sides in the Z direction, don’t burn.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.