A simple project for new users: WiFi QR code card

A new tutorial project for our new users:

Follow along as we use LightBurn to make a card your guests can scan with their phones to get access to your WiFi.

Covers importing artwork, image tracing, setting up layers, using the preview to check your work, and more.

10 Likes

I tried to explain this to my bank, who offer a complicated system for accessing their ‘free’ wifi, but it was above their tech level.

This is a great tutorial and I will add it to my workshop signage.

I’ve been trying to come up with a few things that are simple and useful, and ways to play with different features. This was a good one, and the first time I’ve done voice over instead of straight realtime audio. I need more practice, but it’s not horrible. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Banks don’t like you logging on to their WiFi but they want to be diplomatic so they offer super complicated access for that reason.

That’s a fairly sweeping statement, given I’ve found it to be pretty much exactly the opposite, all over the world.

My current bank has signs posted all over about wifi and spend time to get you connected. They don’t have the technical expertise to make it easy, although it would save them quite a bit of time if they did.

Maybe I should offer them a service to make QR-enabled signs?

Thank you so much for you awesome tutorial. I learned a whole bunch. Quick question what QR code reader do you use for your mobile phone?

Cheers again and THANK YOU

What an excellent and practical tutorial. I’ve had a reasonable look around in the couple of weeks I’ve been using LB but this tutorial showed me some really useful features I would have, otherwise, gone to Photoshop for not expecting to find it here. Now I’m wondering what else is hidden under the sheets.

Better do it before you move to Marton otherwise you’ll be poaching my patch. :wink:

1 Like

Watch your back :wink:

1 Like

Very neat! I noticed the slider for threshold adjustment, how do we get that? Much handier than up/down arrows.

1 Like

It’s in the next release, out reasonably soon. I forgot that one wasn’t out yet. :slight_smile:

I just use the camera app in the phone itself. (reasonably current IPhone and Android models should both do this)

3 Likes

Love the Tutorial - Great Idea!
I am running into some problems with this however.
I get the QR Code down onto the wood with no problem, however when scanning with a QR Code Reader I am getting a hit or miss on the scan.
• My phone scans the wood but gets weird nonsense numbers rather than taking me to the WiFi.
• When I scan the code I’ve made directly from the monitor it works just fine.
• Using my wifes newer phone it is able to scan the QR Code from the wood.
• Using my mothers older phone it can’t scan the code at all.

I’m wondering what other people have found regarding this sort of issue and if it’s just a Newer/Older Phone issue or perhaps a QR Code App issue, or if there is a better way to make the QR Code more recognizable during lasering/production.

I would love to offer these as a product but the result would have to be a little less uncertain.

Have you compared the image resolution between the phones? Just guessing.

Contrast and resolution will both play a part. Make sure the resulting QR has the best contrast you can get from it. LaserDark, or masking and painting might help, as will making sure the edges are crisp.

1 Like

Yes, it definitely plays a role in the older phone - pretty bad resolution (I think 5MP).
My own phone has a pretty high resolution (14MP) however so if it won’t work on that then I’m concerned about it working on a large range of phone cameras.

I converted the QR into Vector and it has good resolution from that.
I’ll try doing the masking idea, that could help with contrast.
Painting would be the next option after that; I was hoping to reduce the labor as much as possible to keep costs down.

Do you think the Physical Size of the QR Code, i.e. making it larger, would help?
The one I have done is currently about 1.75 inches.

It could, yes - If it’s too small in the phone view it can make it hard for the phone to focus on it. Mine was 2.25" (55mm).